Category Archives: Restaurant

Abilene, TX – Sprinkler system activated for kitchen fire at restaurant; No injuries reported

Employees trying to clean fryers at an Abilene restaurant caused a gas line to disconnect and ignite in the kitchen Wednesday evening.

The Abilene Fire Department said it responded to the fire in the 4100 block of Ridgemont Drive and found the single-story restaurant with smoke coming from the back door. All customers and employees had gotten out of the building safely.

Fire crews found a small fire in the kitchen and quickly put it out. The fire was contained to the fryer area and did not damage the building. The vent hood suppression system and sprinkler system activated which contained the fire to the area of origin.

Damages are estimated at $10,000.

Huntingdon Valley, PA – Sprinkler system extinguishes kitchen fire at restaurant; No injuries reported

The fire company was dispatched for an oven fire at La Voglia Restaurant on Byberry Road at 9:03 p.m. Tuesday.

Engine 8 reported the fire was extinguished by the kitchen sprinkler system, fire officials said.

Crews checked for extension and assisted with clean up in the kitchen. Additional units on scene included Squad 11, Ladder 95, and Medic 355.

There were no injuries and no damage to the rest of the restaurant.

Springfield, OR – Sprinkler system activated for fire at restaurant

Eugene Springfield Fire (ESF) responded to a fire at the Public House in downtown Springfield, early on Tuesday morning.

A single engine was dispatched by ESF at approximately 3:40 a.m. and upon arrival crews worked to survey the building for access and signs of fire.

Fire crews entered the building, and after encountering smoke, a full fire response was requested.

ESF located a fire in the kitchen area that was slowed by an activated fire sprinkler.

Eugene Springfield Fire tells us that there was no significant damage to the structure, and crews worked to clear smoke and water while the Fire Marshal’s began their investigation.

Olathe, KS – Sprinkler system activated for cooking fire at Chinese restaurant; No injuries reported

Crews were able to extinguish a working cooking fire over the weekend at a Chinese restaurant in Olathe.

The Olathe Fire Department says that just after 10:55 a.m. on Sunday, April 14, emergency crews were called to the Lucky Star Chinese Restaurant – BoBo Chinese – at 151st and Ridgeview Rd. with reports of a cooking fire.

When first responders arrived, they said they found flames and smoke bursting out of the rooftop through the exhaust vent.

Firefighters indicated that the kitchen’s fire suppression “hood” system and an automatic sprinkler head were able to stop the fire from spreading.

Crews were able to extinguish the blaze with no injuries reported. No further information has been released.

Fresno, CA – Sprinkler system activated for fire at Chipotle restaurant

Firefighters were on the scene of a fire at the Chipotle restaurant on Blackstone and Nees avenues Monday morning.

The Fresno Fire Department says it started just before 6 a.m. Firefighters say a manager started a deep fryer in the morning. About 30 minutes later it caught fire.

All employees were outside of the building when firefighters arrived.

The sprinkler system was activated and kept the fire from spreading, but there was lot of water in the building, according to officials.

The Department of Public Health will assess the damage and determine when the Chipotle can reopen.

Moorpark, CA – Sprinkler system activated for fire at abandoned restaurant; No injuries reported

A fire broke out midday Thursday in an abandoned restaurant in Moorpark once operated by a former “Top Chef” star.

The blaze was reported shortly before noon at the empty Cafe Firenze at 563 Los Angeles Ave., said Capt. Brian McGrath of the Ventura County Fire Department. The site is in a strip mall east of Shasta Avenue.

The fire impacted some contents in the building, McGrath said. A sprinkler system put the main fire out. There was no extension to the attic or structure.

Some businesses in the strip mall were evacuated as a precaution, officials said. No injuries were reported.

Cafe Firenze was co-founded in 2007 by Fabio Viviani, a celebrity chef who was a fan favorite on the fifth season of “Top Chef.” When the 10,000-square-foot restaurant closed in early 2020, Viviani described it as his first restaurant and first love.

The county fire agency is investigating the fire’s cause along with sheriff’s officials, McGrath said.

Libertyville, IL – Sprinkler system activated for fire at restaurant on Easter Sunday

Four people were injured when a fire broke out at an occupied Libertyville restaurant on Easter Sunday, officials say. 

According to the Libertyville Fire Department, firefighters responded to Austin’s Restaurant at 481 Peterson Rd at 1 p.m. When they arrived, people were already evacuating.

Officials say they found smoke coming from the restaurant and a “possible fire in the bar area.”

The sprinkler system extinguished the fire, but heavy smoke remained through the building.

Three people suffered minor smoke inhalation and were treated on the scene. A fourth person sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center.

Fire, smoke, and water damage all affected the restaurant.

The fire is under investigation.

Athens, GA – Sprinkler system contains fire at tavern

“From what I know so far, it seems there was a small fire contained by the sprinkler system,” said Nate Moss, chief of the Athens-Clarke County Fire and Emergency Services Department. “Crews are still at the scene clearing smoke and checking for extension.”

The incident resulted in the closure of North Lumpkin between Broad and Clayton streets.

Moss said additional information would be available later today.

The Globe is one of the landmark establishments in downtown Athens and was designated among Esquire magazine’s “Best Bars in America.”

Sharon, OH – Fire at restaurant extinguished by sprinkler system

According to a press release, the fire happened shortly before 7:00 p.m. Wednesday night at The Block by Nova Destinations on Chestnut Avenue. It originated in or near a laundry basket on the floor.

Once the fire started, the building’s sprinkler system activated and fire crews were able to make it to the restaurant in less than two minutes.

Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke inside the building and one fire sprinkler near the bar area flowing. According to the release, the whole fire was extinguished by the sprinkler alone.

Fire crews say damage to the building was minimal.

Crews added that during the new occupancy fire inspection conducted on the building in July, the city’s fire inspector discovered that the water supply valve to the sprinkler system was closed, which was unknown to the fire department at the time.

Further investigation revealed that the water supply valve had been closed and the system had drained in 2021 due to freezing concerns, but the fire department was never notified that this had been done.

The city fire inspector immediately required the valve to be reopened along with a complete evaluation of the sprinkler system. Had this not happened, the situation could have been much worse.

“If no city fire inspection had been performed, it is very likely that the water supply valve would still have been closed at the time of this fire, allowing the fire to spread unchecked until it was large enough to be seen blowing out of the windows by a passerby,” said Deputy Fire Chief, Nick Samson.

Simple Share Buttons