Tag Archives: Texas

Abilene, TX – Sprinkler system activated for kitchen fire at restaurant; No injuries reported

Employees trying to clean fryers at an Abilene restaurant caused a gas line to disconnect and ignite in the kitchen Wednesday evening.

The Abilene Fire Department said it responded to the fire in the 4100 block of Ridgemont Drive and found the single-story restaurant with smoke coming from the back door. All customers and employees had gotten out of the building safely.

Fire crews found a small fire in the kitchen and quickly put it out. The fire was contained to the fryer area and did not damage the building. The vent hood suppression system and sprinkler system activated which contained the fire to the area of origin.

Damages are estimated at $10,000.

Frisco, TX – Sprinkler system activated for fire at pet facility; No injuries reported

Just before 8 a.m. that day, the department received a fire alarm for the sprinklers having activated at a pet facility in the 6400 block of Preston Road.

Shortly after the fire alarm notification, the department was informed there was a fire in the building. Upon arrival, it was discovered a sprinkler head was activated by the fire. The sprinkler head controlled the fire and limited damage to the building, the department said. The fire was the result of a light fixture and ballast that failed and caught on fire, the department said.

At the time of the fire there were approximately 20 pets in the business. There were no injuries reported, and none of the pets were injured during the fire. The Frisco Police Department Animal Services Division is working with the business to safely relocate the pets to other local facilities, according to the fire department.

Houston, TX – Sprinkler system activated for office fire; No injuries reported

Firefighters arrived on scene to find heavy smoke coming from a 4-story office building and upgraded the response. They made an attack and checked for extension, clearing the stairwells, and opening the roof hatch. The sprinkler system had controlled and extinguished a drink cooler that had overheated and caught fire. Crews controlled the sprinkler system and ventilated the smoke from the structure. The building was turned over to the building maintenance staff on site. 60 personnel were dispatched to this incident, including firefighters from Stations 2, 28, 68, 83, 10, 60, 69, 73, 17, 57 and Rehab 8.


The Woodlands, TX – Sprinkler system activated for arson fire at apartment complex

Around 9 AM, Tuesday morning, residents at the Timbermill Apartments on Sawdust Road were alerted to a fire in their three story building when fire sprinklers activated over two separate fires in a 3rd floor apartment. The sprinkler activations triggered a water flow alarm and fire crews from The Woodlands and South Montgomery County Fire Departments soon arrived to find residents evacuating and smoke coming from the building.

Firefighters made their way up to the smoke filled apartment and began searching for the source of the fire and any remaining occupants. They quickly discovered that two of the building’s fire sprinklers had activated, one over a fire in the living room and one over a fire in a walk-in closet. Firefighters also observed evidence that the fire was intentionally set and immediately secured the area as the first of several fire investigators arrived on scene.

After insuring that the fire was out, firefighters shut down the fire sprinkler system and turned their attention to salvaging resident’s belongings on the floors below the fire. MCFMO Investigators spent several hours examining the scene and interviewing witnesses before placing the resident of the apartment, 28 yr old Jasmine Johnson, under arrest for setting the fires.

The investigation continues into the circumstances and motive behind the fire, but there is no further danger to the public at this time. MCFMO Investigators are currently booking Ms. Johnson into the Montgomery County Jail on 1st degree felony arson charges, where she will be held on a $250,000 bond.

MCFMO Inspection personnel worked with apartment management to insure that the building’s fire sprinkler system was restored to service and that the remaining residents would be protected once they are able to return to their apartments.

Montgomery County first enacted a County Fire Code in 2008 when Commissioner’s Court issued an order adopting the International Fire Code, a consensus safety standard that requires all new and remodeled apartment buildings be equipped with fire sprinkler and alarm systems.

Without these modern safety systems, a fire like this could easily have led to injuries and even deaths, as well as significant property damage. National fire sprinkler statistics reveal that approximately 90% of fires in sprinklered buildings are controlled by the first sprinkler head that activates.

Longview, TX – Sprinkler system activated for fire at distribution plant; No injuries reported

Firefighters were called out to a fire at around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The fire was at R & K Distributors on Whaley Street in Longview. Several engine companies arrived at the scene to battle the flames. Whaley St. was blocked eastbound as they worked to bring the fire under control.

At 6:15 p.m. Longview Fire Department officials say the fire was out, and there were no injuries. The sprinkler system assisted in putting out the fire.

No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

College Station, TX – Sprinkler system activated for fire caused by electric skateboard battery

Several residents at a College Station apartment complex were temporarily displaced after a fire Monday night.

A resident at the Woodlands of College Station complex on Harvey Mitchell Parkway called 911 around 8:30 p.m. after he heard a pop in his bedroom, according to a College Station Fire Department spokesman.

A fire started to spread into a bedroom wall, but the sprinkler system kept the flames from spreading until firefighters arrived.

The College Station Fire Department said an electric skateboard battery caused the fire.

Abilene, TX – Sprinkler system contains fire at apartment complex; No injuries reported

A fire broke out in a unit of an Abilene apartment complex Sunday evening.

According to a press release, crews arrive around 6:40 pm to the Buffalo Ridge apartments to find the alarm and sprinkler system activated in one of the units. Because of the sprinklers, the fire was contained to just the unit’s stovetop.

According to those at the scene, no one was inside the unit at the time, although neighbors did rescue a dog from the flooding caused by the sprinklers.

The damage is estimated to be approximately $5,000.

Travis County, TX – Sprinkler system activated for recycling bin fire near target

Lake Travis Fire Rescue officials said a fire broke out Sunday morning near the front of a Target on Ranch Road 620 South.

Firefighters responded for a fire alarm activation and saw smoke near the structure. Officials said the fire was controlled with a fire sprinkler.

According to LTFR, the fire originated in a recycle bin near the front of the store.

LTFR said the fire remains under investigation.

Corpus Christi, TX – Sprinkler system activated for fire at transportation facility

An early morning fire caused some damage to the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) building at N. Staples St., Mike Rendon with CCRTA told 3NEWS.

The fire was reported just after 8 a.m. in a second floor storage room. RTA officials were preparing for a board meeting when the fire began, Rendon said.

Corpus Christi Fire Department crews were on scene within five minutes, Rendon said, and had the fire put out shortly after.

The water sprinkler system did cause some damage to the building and it will be closed for the rest of the day Wednesday, Rendon said. All RTA employees have been told to work from home today.

There is no word on the cause of the fire at this time. 

The Veterans Services and Social Services Offices within the building will be closed to walk-in clients until further notice. 

Houston, TX – Sprinkler system activated for cooking fire at hotel; No injuries reported

A hotel resident fell asleep after cooking in their room early Monday morning.

The Houston Fire Department arrived near Highway 290 and Pinemont Drive around 1:15 a.m. on Houston’s Northwest side.

Authorities arrived to the hotel and found a fire with heavy smoke on the third floor. The Houston Fire Department evacuated the entire hotel and were able to put the fire out with no injuries reported.

The Houston Fire Department says that after investigating, they found out that a resident was cooking in their room and fell asleep. That’s when the food and stove caught fire and the hotel sprinkler system went off. The sprinklers had flooded all three floors and due to the damage, the hotel was having to find other places for the residents to stay.

Simple Share Buttons