Bales of hay at a Wilco Store in Oregon City were set on fire early Thursday morning. Clackamas Fire District says a fire alarm brought crews to the store on Molalla Avenue. The sprinkler system helped control the fire, and firefighters put it out before it caused any more damage. Surveillance video shows a suspect wearing a baseball cap, mask, a T-shirt, and short pants lighting the fire. Investigators are asking anyone who recognizes the suspect to contact Oregon City Police.
At approximately 5:30pm Friday Redmond Fire & Rescue was notified of a possible structure fire at 65765 Pronghorn Club Dr. Before the arrival of fire crews, onsite staff quickly evacuated the building of guests. As fire crews arrived there was visible smoke coming from the roof of the building. Fire crews made a quick attack on the fire but had to quickly evacuate the building due to the collapse of a chimney onto the roof and fire extending into void areas. The buildings fire sprinkler system was able to help keep the fire in check under fire crews were able to access the void areas in the roof.
Fire investigators late Friday were on scene conducting interviews and analyzing the fire to determine a cause.
Redmond Fire & Rescue was assisted by Bend Fire & Rescue, Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office and Sunriver Fire & Rescue.
A sprinkler system stopped a kitchen fire in its tracks at a northeast Bend apartment Saturday evening, but the resulting water and smoke damage displaced six residents of five nearby apartments until cleanup is completed, officials said.
Bend Fire & Rescue responded around 5:35 p.m. to a fire in a third-floor unit at the Legacy Landing Apartments on NE Tucson Way, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said.
Most of the residents already had evacuated the building before fire crews arrived, and the fire had been controlled by the building’s sprinkler system, Derlacki said.
Crews worked to stop the water and clear smoke from the building, which has 60 apartments on the upper three floors and a Mosaic Medical clinic on the ground floor. Derlacki said water damage also was found in the clinic, “but shouldn’t keep the business from opening for regular business on Monday.” Damages are estimated at $50,000.
An American Red Cross disaster team was called in to help the six affected occupants find hotel rooms for the night, while the rest were able to safely return to their apartments, after the sprinkler and alarm systems were restored, Derlacki said. A restoration company was on scene to begin the cleanup process.
Derlacki said the fire sprinkler system stopped the fire quickly and helped keep the damage to a minimum. With the fire stopped before it could spread out of the kitchen, the amount of smoke in the building was kept to a minimum and allowed the occupants to evacuated safely.
“Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to keep a watchful eye on anything you’re cooking,” the fire official said in a news release. “Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires in the country.
An early Thursday morning fire at Broken Top Bottle Shop brought Bend Fire and Rescue to the scene. Fire crews arrived about 4am and Battalion Chief Trish Connolly says there was no fire showing when crews arrived, so they did a walk around of the building. She says alarms were going off and people in upstairs apartments were evacuating. Connolly says crews got inside the restaurant and found a small fire that had been put out by the sprinkler system. She says there is no doubt the sprinklers saved lives and the apartments. Connolly says the fire was caused by spontaneous combustion of rags that had been cleaned but still had residual oil on them.
There were no reports of injuries.
The fire was reported at about 3 a.m. in the Sullivan’s Gulch area near Northeast 25th Avenue and Multnomah Street, across from Interstate 84.
Portland Fire said the building’s sprinkler system put out most of the flames.
A fire alarm report was received by Bend Fire & Rescue just after 3:30 p.m. It soon was upgraded to a structure fire response after staff found smoking coming from the laundry room of the facility, in the 1800 block of Northeast Highway 20, Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff Bond said.
Crews arrived to find that the sprinkler system had activated and completed putting it out, Bond said. There were no injuries and minimal heat and water damage. No smoke entered the patient area of the building, the official added.
The exact cause of the fire was under investigation, Bond said. The fire sprinkler and alarm systems were back in operation in about two hours.
Twenty firefighters, two chief officers and a fire investigator responded to the incident, which was caused by unattended cooking in one of the units.
“Fortunately the fire was quickly suppressed by a sprinkler located in the kitchen,” said Carmen Westfall, a fire prevention officer at Corvallis Fire Department. “The sprinkler did exactly what it’s supposed to do.”
While the fire damage was contained to the kitchen area, 10 people are now displaced because of the water damage caused by the downward trickle of the sprinkler system. There were no reported injuries.
“Unattended cooking is the No. 1 cause of home fires,” Westfall said. “When you’re finished cooking, make sure you turn off your burners.”
Hillsboro Fire & Rescue and Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews were called out at about 11:30 a.m. on reports of a fire alarm at the Sunset West Business Park off Northeast 25th Avenue.
Everyone made it safely out of the building, fire officials said, and there are no initial reports of injuries.
Firefighters found and extinguished the fire which was contained to a small area inside one of the companies, saying it involved “specialty materials commonly found in high-tech manufacturing.”
A HazMat team was called out to assess the potential impact that the specialty materials may have, which prompted fire crews to order evacuations of the nearby businesses.
Investigators have not confirmed a cause of the fire.
“Hillsboro Fire & Rescue would like to thank Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, Hillsboro Police, Metro West Ambulance, and Portland General Electric for their assistance.”
According to Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R), the fire was contained before too much damage was sustained. The building had vinyl siding, which burns quickly. The fire activated a sprinkler inside the building but there were no injuries and no one is displaced.
Officials said the fire could have been much worse. However, there was some water damage inside. The fire began due to carelessly discarded smoking material.
Houseless/tent fires increased from one in February 2021 to 64 in April 2021. The latest data, recorded in May 2021 from PF&R shows 45 fires for the month of May. In May, it accounted for the most number of calls to PF&R, followed by trash fires with 42 calls in May 2021.
“This building did have vinyl siding and our crews did do a great stop on this fire,” said Rob Garrison, public information officer with PF&R said in an email. “A few more minutes and the fire would have spread to the inside of the building.”
Bend Fire and Rescue was dispatched around 11:40 p.m. to the reported fire in a two-story commercial building in the 100 block of Northwest Greenwood Avenue, Deputy Fire Marshal Susie Maniscalco said.
Police and fire personnel arrived to find flames and smoke coming from the second story and roof of the unoccupied building, which is equipped with a full fire sprinkler and alarm systems, Maniscalco said.
Crews got to the second floor and said a single fire sprinkler in the attic kept the fire from spreading through the attic.
“Had the fire sprinklers not been in place, the long-term cleanup and disruption of businesses would have been greatly impacted,” Maniscalco said in a news release.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical fire relating to heat tape. No injuries were reported.
The building’s estimated value is $2.7 million, and property losses were estimated at $200,000, Maniscalco said. Contents were valued at $400,000, with losses of about $150,000.