Tag Archives: New Brunswick

Petitcodiac, NB, Canada – Sprinkler system activated for early morning fire at school

Petitcodiac Regional School was closed Thursday due to an early morning fire that has been deemed suspicious.

Chief Craig Ramsay of the Petitcodiac Volunteer Fire Department said they were dispatched to the school around 4:20 a.m.

Light smoke was discovered in one of the rooms in the elementary wing of the K-12 school and the sprinkler system was activated.

The fire was contained to one room.

Ramsay said the fire is suspicious and is being investigated by the RCMP and the New Brunswick Office of the Fire Marshall.

School staff are evaluating the damage and the facility is closed.

“For how long, nobody knows,” said Ramsay.

A spokesperson for the Anglophone East School District said they are communicating with the police and fire officials.

More information will be provided to families when it becomes available to the district.

Petitcodiac Regional School is located in the heart of the village and is home to roughly 650 students.

Moncton, NB, Canada – Sprinklers activate to help stop fire at Salvation Army Thrift Store

Staff and customers — and even a goldfish — were evacuated from a Salvation Army Thrift Store in Moncton Saturday after a fire broke out in a backroom storage area.

Three large bins of clothing were on fire when Moncton firefighters arrived on scene at about 6:15 p.m., said platoon Chief Paul Bruens.

“The fire grew quickly and intensely and activated the building sprinkler system,” he said.

The fire was out with about 15 minutes, Bruens said. Most of the damage was from water and smoke.

“The thrift store quickly filled with smoke so it took a little while to safely ventilate the building to make sure occupants could return.”

There were no injuries, Bruens said. Firefighters went so far as to take a fish bowl from one of the offices.

“Everybody got out safely,” Bruens said. “Even the goldfish.”

Moncton, NB, Canada – Sprinklers keep overnight kitchen fire from spreading at high-rise apartment building; No injuries

About 100 people were displaced from their apartments in a Moncton building overnight after a relatively minor fire in the kitchen area of one unit on Tuesday at around midnight. The fire in one unit of six-storey building triggered the sprinkler system in the building to go off and smoke spread to other units.

“There was a small grease fire on the stovetop on one of the apartment units on the third floor,” said fire prevention officer Steve Richardson. “There was minimal damage from the fire and smoke but the heat activated three sprinkler heads. So there was heavy water damage to the apartment and the two floors below the fire floor.

“It extinguished the fire really quickly but until the crews were able to get there and plug those sprinkler heads, there was a lot of water that ran through the building and the floors below from where the fire was.” Michael R. LeBlanc, who lives in the building, said the events were “a little foggy for me.”

“I have health issues, so it takes a while to get going. It took me a while to put warm clothes on.” LeBlanc said he saw water on some floors, but none on his, so he went back to bed. At 4 a.m he was awakened by a firefighter in his bedroom. “I was quite startled by that. He told that you have to pack up,” he said.

Red Cross found lodging, food for 60 people The 50-unit Belmar Plaza building at 460 Mountain Rd. is owned by Killam Properties, which was able to provide furnished apartments in some of its other Moncton properties for the tenants of five units.

The Canadian Red Cross arranged for hotel lodging and food for 51 adults and nine children from 23 units. Five of the apartments in the building were vacant at the time of the fire. All other tenants made their own arrangements for temporary places to stay.

Most residents were able to retrieve clothing and personal items before leaving. All residents were allowed back into their apartments on Wednesday, with the exception of those living in the unit where the fire happened. There were no injuries reported.