Hays, KS – Kitchen fire at restaurant extinguished by sprinkler system

A Hays restaurant is temporarily closed following a kitchen fire on Wednesday.

The Hays Fire Department responded to Gella’s Diner & Lb. Brewing Co., 117 E. 11th, and found that a fire had been extinguished by the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system. Crews were able to extinguish hot spots and ventilate smoke out of the building.

The department determined the cause of the fire to be accidental and said the fire was contained in the kitchen.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, and everyone inside the building made it out safely.