Tag Archives: Nova Scotia

Halifax, NS, Canada – Sprinkler system helps put out cooking fire at apartment complex; No injuries reported

Over a dozen apartment tenants have been displaced after a small fire caused major inconvenience in St. John’s, N.L., on Saturday afternoon.

Officials say the trouble began when heat from a cooking fire triggered the sprinkler system in one section of the Meadowland Manor apartment complex on Bay Bulls Road.

The building’s owner, Killam Properties, says it could take two days to repair water damage and ensure the building is safe before evacuated tenants can return.

Meanwhile, Canadian Red Cross volunteers have arranged emergency lodging for tenants from 13 apartments. Additionally, Killam Properties says it may temporarily relocate some tenants to vacant apartments in unaffected sections of the building.

The fire was extinguished quickly – no injuries were reported.

Halifax, NS, Canada – Fire on 26th floor of high rise apartment building controlled by sprinkler system

Fire crews responded to reports of a fire at Fenwick Tower in Halifax on Wednesday. They were called at about 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday after a fire broke out on the 26th floor. Deputy Chief Roy Hollett says the building’s sprinkler system controlled the fire, and firefighters were able to put it out completely. Power was shut off to the building and there is water damage from the 26th floor and below. While the Canadian Red Cross was called in to prepare emergency shelter for residents, the city said late this afternoon that the decision had been made to allow tenants to remain in the building. Power is being restored one floor at a time, while building electricians make repairs.

Halifax, NS, Canada – Suspicious fire in common area of 12-story apartment building extinguished by sprinkler system

Police are investigating two suspicious fires in just 10 days in a common room of a Dartmouth apartment building. The first fire was reported on March 18 at 5:37 p.m. A Halifax Regional Police news release says someone lit something on fire in the common room at Alderney Manor on Alderney Drive. The sprinkler system was activated and the fire extinguished. On Tuesday, there was a second fire in the same common room around 12:44 p.m. Police say some residents of the building tried to put it out but couldn’t and had to call the fire department.  No one was injured in either case.  Police say investigators are looking into whether the fires are related and ask anyone with information about these incidents to call police at 902-490-5020. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Halifax, NS, Canada – Shopping center fire extinguished by sprinkler system; Fire spread limited

Firefighters responded to a store fire in the Halifax Shopping Centre last Tuesday evening. Ben Moss Jewellers suffered both smoke and fire damage, as well as problems due to the water from the sprinklers the blaze set off.

“We received a call about an alarm at the centre at 10 p.m. and upon our arrival, we realize a sprinkler was flowing,” said Halifax Fire spokesman Scott Blackburn.  “We made our way in and we observed the issues at the jewelry store. The fire had been extinguished from the sprinkler.”

There were 14 responders and they forced their entry into the store to clear the area and do ventilation work. There were no injuries. Firefighters believe they may have a cause for the fire.

“There are renovations going on. There was welding work going on above and we believe sparks may have hit and ignited combustible material on the customer counter.”

The Halifax Shopping Centre was open Wednesday, except for Ben Moss, which was slated to be shut down in the next few weeks due to poor financial performance.

Halifax, NS, Canada – Apartment kitchen fire extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

A third-floor apartment kitchen fire during noon hour left a building at 334 Parkland Dr. was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system. Four apparatuses and 12 firefighters responded to the blaze.  The call came in at 12:54 p.m. last Wednesday, and firefighters were there shortly thereafter, Blackburn said.

“The sprinkler system worked perfectly fine, but the water flow had ramifications on that floor as well as floors below,” Blackburn said. The sprinklers were shut down within about 10 minutes, he said.

“You never want to turn (sprinkler systems) off too early. We wanted to make sure the fire had been extinguished prior to shutting any suppression systems down,” he said. The building was evacuated, but tenants were allowed to go back into apartments that weren’t affected by the fire, he said.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. The room of origin was the kitchen in Apt. 310, he said.

North Sydney, NS, Canada – Hospital laundry fire contained with help from sprinkler system

The Nova Scotia Health Authority says a small fire overnight in the laundry room of the Northside General Hospital in North Sydney caused only minor damage. The fire was caused by the spontaneous combustion of linen, according to the Nova Scotia Health Authority.

In a statement, the authority said the fire marshall has determined the fire started accidentally in a hamper of clean laundry and was “linked to the spontaneous combustion of linen.” Fire damage was limited to a small dryer room, although the main laundry area sustained smoke and water damage, and smoke travelled to some other areas of the hospital.

The fire triggered the alarm and sprinkler system around 4:30 a.m. The authority said a hospital security guard was checked for smoke inhalation but needed no further treatment, and there were no injuries.

The hospital has temporarily moved outpatient blood collection, located next to the laundry, to a nearby room, but the emergency department remains open.

Halifax, NS, Canada – No one injured after sprinklers activate in fire on seventh floor of mental hospital

The Nova Scotia Health Authority says it could take weeks to rebuild two floors damaged after a small fire at the Abbie J. Lane building of the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

The fire started at around 7:20 p.m. on Wednesday in a patient’s room, said Everton McLean, a spokesperson for the health authority. 

The fire was contained and no one was injured, but it triggered the sprinkler system and the water damaged all units on the sixth and seventh floors. Patients needing mental health care are treated on those floors. 

McLean says it will take a while to repair the rooms. 

“In those situations where we get water into the drywall, it causes issues because you have to replace drywall,” he said Thursday.

“It depends on the level of damage when maintenance crews find when we get in there, but right now we’re thinking it’s going to be several weeks.”

Most of the patients were given temporary accommodations at the Abbie J. Lane building on Wednesday night. Others were relocated to other sites at the Nova Scotia Hospital on Thursday morning.

Their families were notified, the health authority said, adding that new patients may be admitted outside the immediate area because of reduced bed availability at the Abbie J. Lane building.

The health authority says it is working to maintain services for new and existing patients.

Meanwhile, McLean says an investigation is underway to determine how the fire started. 

Dartmouth, NS, Canada – Overnight fire on fourth story of apartment building extinguished by sprinkler system

The blaze broke out at about 3:15 a.m. on the fourth storey of the building at 51 Joseph Young Street.  The Halifax fire department said the blaze was mostly extinguished by the sprinkler system.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.  A Metro Transit bus was brought to the scene for displaced residents to keep warm.  The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Sprinkler system puts out fire at apartment (Windsor, NS)

At 9:30 a.m. on August 28 a fire was reported in the unit of an apartment complex. Fire crews arrived to find that the fire had been extinguished by the unit’s fire sprinklers.

Windsor Fire Department Deputy Chief Jamie Juteau said about the fire, “Sprinklers knocked it down, which is perfect. They worked very well.”

The location of the fire was in the kitchen, and fire crews believe the source was a plugged in toaster. All occupants were able to evacuate safely