Tag Archives: Wisconsin

Madison, WI – Apartment kitchen fire extinguished by sprinkler system

Fire crews were called to an apartment building on Madison’s West side for the report of fire alarms sounding and a smoke odor in the hallway. Fire crews found a fire sprinkler had extinguished a kitchen fire in an apartment. Firefighters worked to ventilate the smoke odor, and the investigation is ongoing. No one was home at the time of the fire, and the American Red Cross was called in to assist displaced residents.

Milwaukee, WI – Sprinkler system activated for fire at Holiday Inn Express & Suites; No injuries reported

Fire crews responded to a fire at a Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Milwaukee on Tuesday, Jan. 23.

The fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. at the hotel on Park Place, near 107th and Good Hope.

Fire crews said the fire was on the first floor. The hotel’s sprinkler system put out the flames.

Crews said no injuries were reported.

Waukesha, WI – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at senior living facility; No injuries reported

A sprinkler system reportedly extinguished a fire at Linden Grove, 425 N. University Dr., in Waukesha at 5:35 p.m. Monday afternoon.

Staff brought residents outside the building and gave them blankets to keep them warm while firefighters investigated the fire’s aftermath. The residents were reportedly brought back into their rooms within approximately one hour. Attempts to obtain further information about the fire before deadline were not successful.

Kenosha, WI – Sprinkler system extinguishes apartment fire; No injuries reported

An apartment fire in Pleasant Prairie was successfully extinguished by the building’s sprinkler Tuesday evening, resulting in no injuries according to the Pleasant Prairie Fire and Rescue Department.

According to a department social media release, at about 6:21 p.m., the department received a report of a fire alarm at an apartment complex in the 8200 block of 88th Ave. On arrival, crews found nothing showing.

Crews entered the building and determined there was water flow on the first floor. Upon reaching the apartment the crews opened the door and found a room full of smoke.

Upon entering the apartment it was determined the sprinkler system had activated and extinguished the fire. Crews remained on the scene for approximately an hour performing ventilation. Once the smoke was removed from the building occupants were allowed to return. No injuries were reported.

Aid was received from the Kenosha Fire Department, Bristol Fire Department, Somers Fire Department, Paris Fire Department, Salem Lakes Fire & Rescue, Winthrop Harbor Fire, Beach Park Fire, Newport Fire and Zion Fire.

Fitchburg, WI – Apartment kitchen fire extinguished by sprinkler system

Fitchburg fire officials say an entire apartment would have likely gone up in flames Monday if it wasn’t for an automatic sprinkler system.

Division Chief of Prevention and Inspection Mark Mlekush said a fire was reported at an apartment complex on Traceway Drive off Fish Hatchery Road around 1:30 p.m.

Fire crews arrived to sounding alarms, but they couldn’t find an active fire. After a search of the building, crews found a single sprinkler had triggered and put out a kitchen fire before it spread.

Because the sprinkler activated quickly, fire damage was limited to the immediate area of the kitchen.

The complex’s residents were briefly evacuated, but were able to return home within an hour.

Mlekush said without the automatic sprinkler system, it was “highly likely” the entire building would have been compromised by the fire.

Menasha, WI – Sprinkler system activated for trash fire

Crews with the Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue (NMFR) responded to the 1800 block of Novak Drive in Menasha for a report of a structure fire on Monday.

According to Assistant Chief Adam Dorn, firefighters arrived on the scene around 11:30 a.m. and found a trash pile on fire outside of the building and smoke inside the building.

Firefighters say that the building’s sprinkler system worked in containing the fire, with one sprinkler head activated. Firefighters quickly extinguished the trash that caught fire outside the building.

Additional crews arrived and confirmed that the fire did not extend to any other portions of the building or equipment inside. After the fire was put out, the sprinkler system was shut down, and officials are working on restoring the system.

NMFR says the fire appears to be accidental in nature, but investigators have been unable to determine a cause at this time.

Local 5 News will update this should any additional information become available.

Madison, WI – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at apartment complex

A sprinkler system put out a fire at a Madison apartment building. 

Fire officials say crews were called to the 600 block of Sand Pearl Lane overnight Wednesday.

There was haze in one unit and smoke coming from a vent outside the deck.

Firefighters found the fire in the garbage area, which was completely controlled by an automatic fire sprinkler.

Ladder 2 was able to finish the job with their own water can extinguisher. The crew rolled the dumpster outside and Engine 9 filled it with water so the fire could not reignite.

Officials say this is the eighth “sprinkler save” in Madison this year.

Automatic fire sprinklers are shown to be highly effective in detecting a fire quickly and keeping it contained, if not extinguishing the fire altogether before firefighters arrive.

Wausau, WI – Sprinkler system contains fire on third floor of apartment complex; No injuries reported

Bantr Apartments, which houses the rooftop restaurant, had a small fire at the apartment complex off of 17th Avenue on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the fire Wausau Fire Chief, a fire was in a room on the third floor, but the sprinkler system contained the blaze. There was water damage but mostly to the room where the fire took place.

Multiple trucks from the Wausau Fire Department responded to the apartment complex which was recently completed off 17th Avenue for a fire call shortly after noon Tuesday.

There wasn’t much smoke or fire visible from the outside of the building. The building is owned by Bantr.

No one was injured in the fire.

Pulaski, WI – Sprinkler system activated for fire at food center

Emergency teams responded to a fire Monday morning at Super Ron’s Food Center in Pulaski. Police were notified first and upon arrival, officers learned that the fire was contained to the front office and was extinguished due to efforts by the owner. Police say the fire caused the sprinkler system to activate.

Police evacuated the building due to heavy smoke. Pulaski Tri-County Fire Department firefighters were able to turn off the water flow and checked for additional hot spots.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, but police say it is not suspicious in nature.

Oshkosh, WI – Sprinkler system controls fire at restaurant; No injuries reported

Oshkosh firefighters said a fire at a restaurant was caused by “the spontaneous combustion of deep-fried tempura flakes.”

On Monday at 5:49 a.m., the Oshkosh Fire Department responded to a water flow alarm at Sakura Japanese Steakhouse, located at 330 North Koeller Street in Oshkosh.

Engine 16 and Ladder 15 responded initially and upgraded the alarm to a structure fire response after seeing smoke coming from the building. The fire activated the fire sprinkler system which controlled the fire until it could be fully extinguished.

“The fire was caused by the spontaneous combustion of deep-fried tempura flakes,” the Oshkosh Fire Department said in a news release.

No injuries were reported.

Simple Share Buttons