Category Archives: Hotel / Restaurant

Sandestin, FL – Sprinkler system activated for fire at resort and spa; No injuries reported

A fire broke out Monday at a local resort and spa in Sandestin.

South Walton Fire District officials say around midnight, crews arrived on-scene to an electrical fire at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort and Spa, on the 6th floor of the Spa tower.

The fire suppression system in the room had reportedly contained the fire, but smoke was still present on several floors.

Firefighters say the fire’s room of origin was accessed with the help of resort staff, securing the sprinkler system, evacuating guests, and extinguishing any other signs of the fire.

SWFD says no firefighters or civilians were injured, but the fire caused damage to the tower’s electrical system, and water damage was sustained from the sprinklers.

Guests staying in the damaged tower were reportedly relocated to other rooms for safety as the tower needed to be repaired.

Fire officials would also like to urge any business owners who want to learn about fire suppression systems or request an inspection in the area to contact SWFD Fire and Life Safety Division via email at lifesafety@swfd.org.

Springfield, OR – Sprinkler system activated for fire at restaurant

Eugene Springfield Fire (ESF) responded to a fire at the Public House in downtown Springfield, early on Tuesday morning.

A single engine was dispatched by ESF at approximately 3:40 a.m. and upon arrival crews worked to survey the building for access and signs of fire.

Fire crews entered the building, and after encountering smoke, a full fire response was requested.

ESF located a fire in the kitchen area that was slowed by an activated fire sprinkler.

Eugene Springfield Fire tells us that there was no significant damage to the structure, and crews worked to clear smoke and water while the Fire Marshal’s began their investigation.

Manhattan, KS – Sprinkler system activated for arson fire at hotel

Law enforcement authorities are investigating alleged arson and have a suspect in custody.

Just before 7:30a.m. Wednesday, the Riley County Communication Center received a call of a fire alarm at the Parkwood Inn and Suites in the 500 block of S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

Officers from RCPD and Quints 2 and 3 from the Manhattan Fire Department responded to the location.  Upon arrival, fire crews discovered an activated fire sprinkler head on the fourth floor.

Fire investigators determined an unknown item was ignited near the sprinkler head causing it to activate. Fire loss is estimated to be $500 with the area sustaining significant water damage.

Officers arrested Gerry Phillips, 32, of Manhattan on a probable cause offense of aggravated arson. His bond was set at $20,000.

The RCPD did not release the exact location of the fire. However, an online search  indicates the fire occurred at the Parkwood Inn and Suites. at 505 MLK Jr. Drive in Manhattan.

Olathe, KS – Sprinkler system activated for cooking fire at Chinese restaurant; No injuries reported

Crews were able to extinguish a working cooking fire over the weekend at a Chinese restaurant in Olathe.

The Olathe Fire Department says that just after 10:55 a.m. on Sunday, April 14, emergency crews were called to the Lucky Star Chinese Restaurant – BoBo Chinese – at 151st and Ridgeview Rd. with reports of a cooking fire.

When first responders arrived, they said they found flames and smoke bursting out of the rooftop through the exhaust vent.

Firefighters indicated that the kitchen’s fire suppression “hood” system and an automatic sprinkler head were able to stop the fire from spreading.

Crews were able to extinguish the blaze with no injuries reported. No further information has been released.

Glen Allen, VA – Sprinkler system activated for fire at hotel; No injuries reported

Staff at the Candlewood Suites hotel in the Short Pump area of Henrico County are working to relocate guests following an accidental fire in a second-floor suite.

According to a spokesperson for Henrico Fire & EMS, crews responded to the Candlewood Suites at 4120 Tom Leonard Drive just before 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 10, for report of a fire.

The spokesperson said the occupants of a hotel room had noticed smoke coming out of the air conditioning and heating unit and reported it to the front desk.

When the smoke worsened, they left the room — which caught fire shortly after. The flames soon spread to the curtains above the unit.

The sprinkler system was triggered by the smoke, which automatically notified first responders. Additionally, these sprinklers kept the fire from spreading beyond the window area, which is “exactly what you want [the sprinklers] to do,” according to the spokesperson.

Fire crews reportedly arrived within three minutes of receiving the call. There was still some visible fire on the outside of the building, so firefighters worked to put that out before entering the building.

No injuries were reported, according to the spokesperson.

The hotel was damaged by the flames themselves, as well as the smoke, heat and soot that came along with it. Fire crews deactivated the sprinkler system when possible, but there was still some water damage, according to the spokesperson.

Due to this damage, occupants are being relocated by hotel staff. According to the spokesperson, they are being moved to either other available rooms or to another hotel.

The spokesperson said this fire is considered accidental. No other information is available at tis time.

Vancouver, BC, Canada – Sprinkler system activated for fire at hotel; No injuries reported

Some residents were displaced and several units had water damage after a fire broke out in another Vancouver single-room occupancy hotel on Monday morning.

The fire was reported just after 7 a.m. Monday at the Walton Hotel, at 261 East Hastings St. in the Downtown Eastside.

Vancouver Fire Rescue Services crews had the fire mopped up after about 90 minutes and left a notice for building managers to reactivate the sprinkler system right away.

“Firefighters isolate and turn off the sprinkler as close to the affected area as possible to limit water damage to the building as well as trying to keep as much of the system operational,” said Vancouver Fire spokesperson Capt. Matthew Trudeau.

“A service technician is required to put the system back in working order as soon as possible.”

Trudeau said no injuries were reported but “water damage has affected multiple units” leaving an unknown number of Walton hotel residents displaced.

He said searching rooms was difficult due to “extensive hoarding throughout many units.”

Fresno, CA – Sprinkler system activated for fire at Chipotle restaurant

Firefighters were on the scene of a fire at the Chipotle restaurant on Blackstone and Nees avenues Monday morning.

The Fresno Fire Department says it started just before 6 a.m. Firefighters say a manager started a deep fryer in the morning. About 30 minutes later it caught fire.

All employees were outside of the building when firefighters arrived.

The sprinkler system was activated and kept the fire from spreading, but there was lot of water in the building, according to officials.

The Department of Public Health will assess the damage and determine when the Chipotle can reopen.

Moorpark, CA – Sprinkler system activated for fire at abandoned restaurant; No injuries reported

A fire broke out midday Thursday in an abandoned restaurant in Moorpark once operated by a former “Top Chef” star.

The blaze was reported shortly before noon at the empty Cafe Firenze at 563 Los Angeles Ave., said Capt. Brian McGrath of the Ventura County Fire Department. The site is in a strip mall east of Shasta Avenue.

The fire impacted some contents in the building, McGrath said. A sprinkler system put the main fire out. There was no extension to the attic or structure.

Some businesses in the strip mall were evacuated as a precaution, officials said. No injuries were reported.

Cafe Firenze was co-founded in 2007 by Fabio Viviani, a celebrity chef who was a fan favorite on the fifth season of “Top Chef.” When the 10,000-square-foot restaurant closed in early 2020, Viviani described it as his first restaurant and first love.

The county fire agency is investigating the fire’s cause along with sheriff’s officials, McGrath said.

Libertyville, IL – Sprinkler system activated for fire at restaurant on Easter Sunday

Four people were injured when a fire broke out at an occupied Libertyville restaurant on Easter Sunday, officials say. 

According to the Libertyville Fire Department, firefighters responded to Austin’s Restaurant at 481 Peterson Rd at 1 p.m. When they arrived, people were already evacuating.

Officials say they found smoke coming from the restaurant and a “possible fire in the bar area.”

The sprinkler system extinguished the fire, but heavy smoke remained through the building.

Three people suffered minor smoke inhalation and were treated on the scene. A fourth person sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center.

Fire, smoke, and water damage all affected the restaurant.

The fire is under investigation.

Harlan, IA – Sprinkler system activated for fire at lodge; No injuries reported

Harlan Fire Chief Roger Bissen tells KSOM/KS95 News firefighters responded to a fire in a room at the Cyclone Lodge at 2004 23rd Street on Saturday afternoon.

The call went out at 12:50 p.m. Chief Bissen says upon arrival, smoke could be seen coming from the room door. Mutual aid was requested from the Westphalia and Avoca Fire Departments.  When firemen made entry, they found contents left near the furnace, which caught fire and ignited the curtains. The lodge was evacuated.

Chief Bissen says the room sustained smoke and water damage from the sprinkler system, and the ground floor had some smoke damage.

No one was injured in the fire.

Simple Share Buttons