Category Archives: Residential High Rise

Ann Arbor, MI – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at high-rise apartment building; No injuries reported

Firefighters are investigating how a plastic plant in the 7th floor lobby of the Court House Square Apartments caught on fire Tuesday morning.

Ann Arbor Fire Department personnel arrive at the downtown highrise around 7:27 a.m. to find smoke and flowing water on the 7th floor.

Officials said the floor’s sprinkler system — activated by the on-fire plant — extinguished the fire. An elevator and several floors were damaged by the water but no one was injured.

Firefighters consider the incident suspicious.

Court House Square apartments are at 100 S. Fourth Ave.

Springfield, IL – Sprinkler system activated for high-rise kitchen fire

The Springfield Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 1100 block of 8th St, The Hildebrandt High Rise, on Monday at 11:28 p.m.

Officials say the fire was contained to a unit on the 7th floor.

The building was partially evacuated during the fire. The fire sprinkler system activated and kept the fire in check while firefighters stretched hose lines to the fire room.

There was one person with a report of smoke inhalation that was treated on scene and required no further assessment. Springfield Housing Authority and Red Cross are working with the displaced resident.

We’re told the cause of the fire appears to have been from food left on the stove leading to this kitchen fire.

Fresno, CA – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at eight-story building

A water sprinkler doused a fire Friday afternoon at an eight-story building in downtown Fresno.

The Fresno Fire Department responded to the fire at 4:45 p.m. at Fulton and Amador streets with reports of a fire that started on the balcony, spokesman Jonathan Lopez said.

The sprinkler system had already extinguished the fire when crews arrived.

No one was displaced.

Lopez credited the Silvercrest Retirement Residence management for helping fire crews get to where the fire started and stressed the importance of having a working sprinkling system.

”This incident really highlights the importance of not having working smoke detectors, but especially in buildings like this working fire suppression,” he said. ”Sprinklers and self-closing doors really minimize the potential disaster that could happen in a high-rise building without these fire protection features.”

Five engines and two ladder trucks responded to the commercial fire.

San Diego, CA – Sprinkler system activated for lithium-ion battery fire in high-rise apartment building

A lithium-ion battery was blamed for starting a fire in a high-rise apartment building in East Village on Wednesday night, leaving 15 residents displaced and one complaining of smoke inhalation, a fire official said.

The fire was reported shortly after 7:10 p.m. at the building on 14th Street near Commercial Street in a fourth-floor apartment, a San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesperson said. Because of the size of the building, the fire went to a third alarm, which summoned more resources to help.

When firefighters arrived, they helped evacuate the building but they didn’t have to put out the fire. That was taken care of by the building’s sprinkler system. The sprinklers also caused extensive water damage to 14 units on the third floor and two common areas, fire officials said.

It was estimated the fire and sprinkler system caused $150,000 in damage.

Fifteen people were displaced and assisted by property management. It was determined that Red Cross assistance wasn’t needed.

One person was evaluated for smoke inhalation but did not require medical treatment.

The fire was determined to be accidental. The battery was for an e-bike and was on a charger connected to an electrical outlet when it sparked the fire.

A HAZMAT team responded to handle the battery mitigation and air monitoring, the department said.

Virginia Beach, VA – Sprinkler system activated for kitchen fire in high-rise apartment; No injuries reported

A kitchen fire in a high-rise apartment in Town Center has displaced one person and damaged several other units in the building.

The Virginia Beach Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the 4500 block of Commerce Street in Town Center on Tuesday evening. They arrived at about 8:35 p.m. After unsuccessfully attempting to reset the alarm, further investigation found water flowing from the door of an apartment on the ninth floor.

When they entered, firefighters found an active sprinkler head, fire and smoke in the apartment.

The fire was extinguished at 9:03 p.m. There was also water damage to twelve units below the apartment.

One person has been displaced. No civilians, firefighters or pets were injured.

The cause of the fire was found to be accidental from boxes left on a stove.

Lake Worth Beach, FL – Sprinkler system activated for fire at multi-family residential building; No injuries reported

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said it responded to the 6300 block of Pinestead Drive at 10:50 a.m. after a report of a high-rise structure fire.

Firefighters found a three-story multi-family residential building with smoke showing from the first floor.

The fire department said once its personnel entered the building, the fire sprinkler system in the building prevented the fire from going beyond the room where it was started.

Fire personnel brought the flames under control and reported no injuries because of the incident.

The Red Cross said it is providing emergency financial assistance, health services and other resources to people affected.

Atlanta, GA – Sprinkler system activated for arson fire in senior living high-rise; No injuries reported

Seniors living in an Atlanta high-rise building got a scare after a fire broke out overnight.

The fire happened at the Friendship Towers on Northside Drive around midnight.

Firefighters tell FOX 5 that senior residents had to be evacuated after someone set fire to trash on the 13th floor of the building.

Thankfully, the building’s sprinkler system was able to keep the flames under control and no one was injured.

Arson investigators are now working to find out who started the blaze.

If you have any information about the fire, call the Atlanta Police Department.

Santa Rosa, CA – Sprinkler system activated for fire in 14-story apartment building

An elderly woman and a small dog were rescued from a fire that broke out in a Santa Rosa high-rise apartment complex on Sunday morning, announced the Santa Rosa Fire Department.

The fire department first received reports of a fire via a water flow alarm in a 14-story apartment building on 801 Tupper St shortly after 4 a.m.

Firefighters responded to apartment 303 in the building and found that a sprinkler system activated and extinguished a fire from the kitchen. Firefighters found a woman on the ground of the living room floor and brought her to the first floor lobby. A small dog was also found in the apartment.

The woman was transported to a local hospital for evaluation.

Fire officials deemed the apartment uninhabitable because of severe water and fire damage. Water damage also affected seven other apartments in the building, said firefighters.

Fresno, CA – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at eight-story building

A water sprinkler doused a fire Friday afternoon at an eight-story building in downtown Fresno.

The Fresno Fire Department responded to the fire at 4:45 p.m. at Fulton and Amador streets with reports of a fire that started on the balcony, spokesman Jonathan Lopez said.

The sprinkler system had already extinguished the fire when crews arrived.

No one was displaced.

Lopez credited the Silvercrest Retirement Residence management for helping fire crews get to where the fire started and stressed the importance of having a working sprinkling system.

”This incident really highlights the importance of not having working smoke detectors, but especially in buildings like this working fire suppression,” he said. ”Sprinklers and self-closing doors really minimize the potential disaster that could happen in a high-rise building without these fire protection features.”

Five engines and two ladder trucks responded to the commercial fire.

Syracuse, NY – Sprinkler system activated for 5th floor apartment fire

Syracuse Firefighters extinguished a kitchen fire on the fifth floor of Vinette Towers Saturday afternoon.

Crews responded to the 947 Pond Street Apartment building around 3:39 pm after a 911 caller reported a very strong odor in the building. Firefighters arrived in less than 3 minutes and saw smoke coming out of a window on the 5th floor. Crews made their way to the fifth-floor apartment with a hose line and extinguished the fire.

Firefighters determined the fire started on a kitchen stove. A heat-activated sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading into any other apartments. No victims were found, but one apartment resident was displaced.

This is the second major fire reported at Vinette Towers this summer. In July, 10 apartments were left uninhabitable after homemade fireworks exploded on the 6th floor of the apartment building.

The cause of the stove fire is under investigation. The Syracuse Housing Authority, National Grid, Syracuse Police, the Red Cross, and AMR all assisted the Syracuse Fire department in their response.

Simple Share Buttons