A private school in Suffield was evacuated because of what a small fire that triggered its sprinkler system.
Emergency crews were called for an electrical fire at the Suffield Academy on North Main Street on Tuesday morning.
It was caused by a faulty power strip, school officials said.
Chief Financial Officer Patrick Booth told Channel 3 that it was minor and that everyone was evacuated and safe.
A fire broke out in a Hampton High School classroom early Friday morning.
According to a district spokesman, a small fire broke out in one of the science rooms, activating the fire alarm and sprinkler system.
First responders were called to the building, located at 2929 McCully Road, just before 5 a.m.
Channel 11′s Lonni Rivera is at the scene. She noticed fans outside the school, and it appears as though the building is being ventilated.
The sprinkler system was only activated in the area where the fire occurred and there was no extensive damage to any other classrooms, according to the district.
Students had the day off due to a scheduled professional development day for teachers and staff. That is being relocated to Hampton Middle School.
The district plans to clean up and prepare for students to return on Monday.
A student has been identified as starting a fire inside a South Ogden Junior High School bathroom early Monday, forcing an early dismissal from the school.
The incident was reported at approximately 11 a.m., with video showing a small fire in a bathroom as students looked on and filmed it with their phones.
Officials with the South Ogden City Fire Department reported the fire alarm and sprinkler system were triggered by a hand towel dispenser on fire in the North part of the building.
The fire was kept under control by the sprinklers but firefighters had to use a water extinguisher to completely put out the blaze.
Weber School District officials said Tuesday they have identified the student who started the fire and that they may now face criminal charges and disciplinary actions from the school.
Damage to the school was contained to the bathroom, mostly from the sprinkler system being active, officials explained.
School officials informed parents that their students were being dismissed early due to the fire.
Bemidji Firefighters are crediting a sprinkler system for helping contain a fire at the Bemidji High School.
The fire department was dispatched to Bemidji High school just after 11:30 p.m. on Friday, October 20, for a report of a smoke alarm activation.
As crews entered the building and searched for the cause of the alarm, they found a smoke-filled hallway with water flowing on the south side of the building. Using a thermal imaging camera and water can extinguisher, firefighters were able to extinguish a fire in a custodian closet.
Firefighters were on the scene for approximately three hours and it took 14 firefighters to help with water removal and clean up. The room where the fire started suffered moderate smoke and water damage, while adjacent classrooms and hallways sustained water damage.
The fire is under investigation, but appears to be electrical in nature.
Bemidji Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Bemidji Area Schools, Bemidji Police Department, Bemidji Ambulance Service and Minnesota State Fire Marshal.
A minor fire, ignited by food on a stovetop, led to the displacement of several Lattimore Hall residents on Saturday, according to the Auburn Fire Department.
The incident, which occurred at the independent student housing complex for Cayuga Community College, was reported at approximately 4:47 p.m.
Officials said the dormitory’s sprinkler system quickly extinguished the fire before firefighters reached the scene.
However, the resulting water damage prompted the Auburn Code Enforcement Office to condemn the affected third-floor unit and the units directly beneath it on the first and second floors.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
Lattimore Hall’s management is currently arranging alternate accommodations for the displaced students, and the fire department has taken measures to manage the aftermath of the incident, including shutting down the third floor’s sprinkler system and ventilating the smoke. Auburn City Ambulance was also present on-site.
A lithium battery from a vape pen caused a fire inside a trash can at the Gorham Campus of the University of Southern Maine Monday.
In a letter to students, USM’s President says the sprinkler system at the Upton/Hastings residence hall kept the fire from spreading. However, water damage forced 23 students living there to be relocated.
No one was injured in the fire that started on the third floor of Upton/Hastings around 2 p.m. Because the fire was a state academic building, the fire was investigated by the state fire marshal’s office.
The president’s office reminds students that USM is a smoke & vape free campus.
Lithium batteries can cause fires if the battery is damaged. The smoke and fumes from a lithium battery fire can be fatal.
An overheated kiln in an art room at Lincoln Elementary School set off a fire sprinkler in the classroom just as students lined up for dismissal, the School District of Palm Beach County said.
All students and staff were evacuated safely out of the building, while Riviera Beach Fire Rescue responded and gave the all clear, the district said in a message to parents.
The evacuation delayed dismissal by up to 20 minutes and some some classrooms sustained water damage, this district said.
As a result, the school’s open house that was scheduled for Wednesday evening has been postponed.
An electrical issue with a dishwasher reportedly led to a fire Tuesday evening at Vincennes Lincoln High School.
The fire caused officials to activate an e-learning day for students Wednesday while crews worked to clean up the incident.
According to a release from the Vincennes Community School Corporation, thanks to the hard work of a number of staff members and partner organizations the school will return to in-person instruction on Thursday.
VCSC officials said the kitchen will take a week or so to get back up and running, in the meantime, food preparation will take place in a temporary satellite kitchen. Students will receive their breakfast and lunches in sack format until the kitchen is returned to normal operations.
No injuries were reported due to the fire, and officials said they take satisfaction in knowing the sprinkler system in place had most of the fire out by the time firefighters arrived on scene.
Evening activities will take place at Lincoln High School as scheduled Wednesday evening. The Knox County Health Department has given the organization the all-clear to return to the building.
“Please also know that the facility is safe and free of any smoke or water damage. If the facility were not safe, we would not return students, staff, and patrons to the building. But again, we thank the Knox County Health Department for doing their due diligence that allows us to return to the facility,” the release reads.
A fire damaged a classroom at an Eastern Shore high school early Wednesday, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
The fire started at Easton High School after custodial workers “inadvertently” activated a stove-top burner, fire officials said.
The custodians were moving items out of a classroom and, at one point, placed electronic equipment on the burner, which is what activated the burner, according to authorities.
That’s what started the fire, fire officials said.
Moments later, the fire alarm activated and alerted staff to the fire, according to authorities.
A sprinkler head was activated and suppressed the flames, fire officials said.
The fire required 58 firefighters and was under control within about 96 minutes, according to authorities.
All damage was contained to a single classroom, fire officials said.
The cost of the damage came to roughly $3,000, which included $500 in structural damage and $2,500 in damage to “contents,” according to authorities.