The incident, which occurred at the independent student housing complex for Cayuga Community College, was reported at approximately 4:47 p.m.
Officials said the dormitory’s sprinkler system quickly extinguished the fire before firefighters reached the scene.
However, the resulting water damage prompted the Auburn Code Enforcement Office to condemn the affected third-floor unit and the units directly beneath it on the first and second floors.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
Lattimore Hall’s management is currently arranging alternate accommodations for the displaced students, and the fire department has taken measures to manage the aftermath of the incident, including shutting down the third floor’s sprinkler system and ventilating the smoke. Auburn City Ambulance was also present on-site.