Category Archives: Other – School / University

Suffield, CT – Sprinkler system activated for electrical fire at academy

A private school in Suffield was evacuated because of what a small fire that triggered its sprinkler system.

Emergency crews were called for an electrical fire at the Suffield Academy on North Main Street on Tuesday morning.

It was caused by a faulty power strip, school officials said.

Chief Financial Officer Patrick Booth told Channel 3 that it was minor and that everyone was evacuated and safe.

Wheeling, WV – Sprinkler system activated for fire at youth center; No injuries reported

Wheeling Police and Fire information officer Philip Stahl tells 7NEWS that a fire broke out Tuesday afternoon at Youth Services Systems’ McCrary Center on Wheeling Island.

The call came in around 3:45PM for the location at 111 North York Street.

We’re told that it was a one room fire, which triggered the sprinkler system, that did its job to contain the fire. The building was evacuated but people were likely to be allowed back in later in the day. There were no injuries.

Officials do not yet know the cause of the fire, but they will be investigating.

Stay with 7NEWS for updates.

Fayette County, TN – Sprinkler system activated for fire at juvenile development center

Three sources in Fayette County told WREG that Somerville Volunteer firefighters were called to Wilder after a number of juveniles started a fire at Wilder Youth Development Center.

The incident happened New Year’s weekend between Saturday night and Sunday morning. WREG was told the fire turned on the building’s sprinkler system, which quickly knocked down the fire.

Velicia Brown lives near Wilder Youth Development, and she says she is concerned every time she hears about problems at the center.

“All I can say is these kids are really out of control,” she said. “This generation is really out of control.”

Wilder, which houses violent juvenile offenders, has been in the news after several reports of escapes, attempted escaped, and riots at the facility north of Somerville.

Sources say they are unaware of any injuries from the incident and did not know how much fire damage was done to the facility’s school. However, signs were displayed to alert the public of job openings at Wilder.

Brown says this is a sign that things could be improving.

“We actually need people that’s actually going to put their foot down and actually help them and motivate these kids to do better, and that way they won’t be there anymore,” she said.

We reached out to DCS but were told State offices were closed for a holiday. A spokesperson with the Tennessee Highway Patrol would only acknowledge that they received a call for assistance from Wilder.

Frisco, TX – Fire at Frisco ISD building kept in check by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

The Frisco Fire Department is investigating after alarms alerted dispatchers to a fire at a Frisco ISD building Friday morning.  

After dispatchers were alerted at 9:59 a.m., the first unit of Frisco firefighters arrived at 10:04 a.m. at a FISD building on the 7200 block of Hickory Street. The initial response involved one engine, one ladder truck and one battalion chief, a press release stated, due to the response involving an alarm investigation. During the response, occupants found smoke in the building, the press release stated.  

“Additional units were requested as a structure fire was declared,” the department stated. “The fire was found in a closet, was kept small and was not allowed to grow as rapidly due to a sprinkler fire that activated when the fire began. A total of 12 units and 34 personnel responded.”

The department reported no civilian or firefighter injuries.

Charleston, SC – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire in barracks at The Citadel; No injuries reported

Charleston County dispatch shows a reported fire at the Citadel.

The call came in at around 6:29 pm on Sunday, August 23.

Citadel officials say the fire was caused by an air conditioning unit that is above one of the barracks on campus.

The barracks were evacuated.

The fire caused the school’s sprinkler system to activate, which took care of the fire.

Officials say no one was injured during the fire.

Baton Rouge, LA – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at LSU baseball stadium

Firefighters were called out to Alex Box Stadium for a fire before 1 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported crews received the call about the fire at 12:40 a.m.

Officials said members of the LSU Police Department told responding firefighters there was a fire but the sprinkler system had doused the flames.

According to BRFD, police officers said a cardboard box had been put on top of a dryer and caught fire. The firefighters stayed on scene long enough to make sure the fire was out.

Fire officials added the power was turned off temporarily as a precaution. The laundry room and other nearby areas received water damage from the sprinkler system. Officials estimated the damage to be about $25,000.

No. 11 LSU defeated Indiana, 8-1, just a couple hours before the fire department responded to the fire.

There was no indication the fire would affect Saturday’s scheduled doubleheader between LSU and Indiana.

Baton Rouge, LA – Fire at nursing school contained by fire sprinklers; No injuries reported

Classes have been canceled for some Southern University students following a weekend fire.

The fire was reported at the nursing school building around 1 a.m. Sunday. Officials say the sprinkler system was activated, and the fire was contained and extinguished.

No one was inside the building at the time.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and secured the area. The university said that Monday classes that were supposed to be held in the building were canceled.

Officials said Monday the incident was deemed an electrical fire. 

Flint Twp, MI – Maintenance office fire put out by fire sprinklers

A sprinkler put out a small fire Tuesday night inside the maintenance office at Carman-Ainsworth High School.

Firefighters with the Flint Township Fire Department were called out shortly before 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3 to the high school, 1300 N. Linden Road, for a sprinkler activation in the building.

Flint Township Assistant Fire Chief Michael Burkley said the activation alerted the department to a water flow alarm.

Firefighters responding to the high school discovered water flowing out of the building in the loading dock area and some in the hallway.

After forcing entry into the building, Burkley said it was noticed the water was coming from the maintenance office where the sprinkler had been activated upon temperatures reaching 150 degrees.

“The sprinkler system contained the fire,” he said. “We just overhauled, shut the sprinkler system down.”

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but Burkley said there were electronics in the office, and it’s believed something plugged in led to the incident that caused “very little damage.”

Firefighters were on scene for approximately two hours.

Water also made its way into the school’s boiler room, but no damage took place to any equipment in the area.

Burkley said the sprinkler system can generate between 35-50 gallons of water flow a minute.

The Flint Township Police Department also responded to the scene to assist the fire department. The incident remains under investigation.

Classes were in session at the high school as scheduled Wednesday morning.

Carman-Ainsworth Community Schools Superintendent Eddie L. Kindle could not be immediately reached for comment Wednesday morning.

Meadville, PA – Fire started by students in paint mixing room quickly stopped from spreading by fire sprinklers; No injuries reported

A fire set intentionally by students at the Crawford County Career and Technical Center on Thursday was extinguished almost immediately by the facility’s sprinkler system, according to Chief Evan Hasko of Meadville Central Fire Department.

The fire, which was reported at 8:58 a.m., was contained to a paint mixing room in the school’s auto collision technology department, according to Hasko and Crawford County 911.

“We had a little incident at the vo-tech this morning,” Hasko said. “The sprinkler system did what it was supposed to do.

No one was injured, Hasko said, and the damage, primarily caused by the water that extinguished the fire, was minimal.

Hasko described the paint mixing area where the students set the fire as a booth not quite 8-by-10 feet in area.  

Firefighters checked that the fire had been completely extinguished and shut off the water supply to the sprinkler system when they arrived, according to Hasko.

Three students were involved in setting the fire, Hasko said, and they were “turned over to school officials and law enforcement to handle.”

Hasko declined to identify the students, citing their status as minors.

“They fessed up,” Hasko said of the students. “I’m sure their parents aren’t going to be happy to get a call.”

Rockton, IL – Fire at performing arts center extinguished by sprinkler system

No one was injured after a small fire erupted about 9:30 p.m. Sunday in back of the stage inside the Hononegah Community High School Performing Arts Center. The sprinkler system extinguished the fire before the firefighters arrived, a news release said. An investigation has been started as to the cause and the damage is being assessed. No one was in the performing arts center when the fire began. Crews are attempting to mitigate the smoke and water damage.

Simple Share Buttons