Category Archives: School / University

NOTE – Residence Hall, Dormitory, and Fraternity-Sorority is included under Residential Category

St. Paul, MN – Sprinkler system halts arson fire at St. Catherine University; No injuries reported

Police arrested a 19-year-old former St. Catherine University student on Wednesday after eight small fires were set in seven buildings on the St. Paul campus.

No injuries were reported, and the St. Paul fire and police departments are investigating. Police had no immediate information about what the motive might have been.Continue Reading »

Puyallup, WA – Sprinkler system protects high school after banner set on fire

Two Emerald Ridge High School sophomores are in the custody of Pierce County sheriff’s deputies after lighting a banner on fire in the school’s common area, officials say.

The fire forced the evacuation of a wrestling match and caused sprinklers to douse the school’s common area with water.Continue Reading »

Vineland, NJ – Sprinkler system limits spread of school arson fire; No injuries reported

Police arrested two students on Friday and charged them with arson after an investigation into a fire earlier this month at Veterans Memorial Intermediate School.  Two 14-year-olds were allegedly involved in an incident where a fire started in a boys’ bathroom, police said. Continue Reading »

Anchorage, AK – Suspicious fire at elementary school contained with help from sprinkler system

A “suspicious” fire early Sunday morning caused more than $100,000 in damage at College Gate Elementary School, according to the Anchorage Fire Department.

San Antonio, TX – Fire at school bus garage put out with help from sprinkler system

An early morning fire damaged a Northeast ISD bus barn on Monday.  The fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. and at one point, 25 fire units were called out to the location at the NEISD North Transportation Terminal.  Fire crews say the fire started in a desk drawer within a building at the terminal.Continue Reading »

Durham, NC – Dorm room fire at Duke University extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

A dorm room was damaged in a fire at Duke University on Saturday evening, officials said. The fire was reported at 7:48 p.m. at 420 Chapel Drive, according to Durham fire officials. “Firefighters found the sprinkler system had activated and extinguished a small fire in a dorm room,” Chris Iannuzzi, deputy chief of the Durham Fire Department said in a news release.Continue Reading »

Sterling, VA – Sprinkler system keeps overnight classroom fire at high school from spreading

A fire occurred overnight Sunday at Dominion High School and automatic sprinklers helped prevent it from escalating, according to Loudoun County Fire and Rescue.  Officials said the fire started at approximately 11:15 p.m. in a science classroom on the main floor of the school, with three activated automatic sprinklers keeping it in check before fire crews arrived to put out the remaining blaze with a portable extinguisher. Continue Reading »

West Fargo, ND (No Media Coverage) – Early morning fire at kindergarten center extinguished by sprinkler system


A blog reader reported this sprinkler save from the Lodoen Kindergarten Center. The following message was sent from the school:

“At approximately 6:00 AM this morning, the West Fargo Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at our school.… Continue Reading »

San Antonio, TX – Fire in university apartment building under construction put out by sprinkler system

A sprinkler system put out a small fire in an apartment building under construction at the Our Lady of the Lake University campus Sunday morning. The San Antonio Fire Department said the fire started around 11:30 a.m., and firefighters arrived to a smoke-filled room.Continue Reading »

Kennesaw, GA – Fire in on-campus residence hall extinguished by sprinkler system

*** No Media Coverage ***  On 11/9/17 – A fire in a residence hall room at Kennesaw State University was extinguished by an automatic sprinkler head.  The fire started from a vape e- cigarette battery and damage from the fire was contained to one room in a two bedroom suite.   … Continue Reading »