Canton, MI – Sprinkler system puts out fire due to a recliner chair catching on fire

It’s back to business for the Art Van Furniture’s Canton location, which kept its doors shut over the weekend because of a small fire.

The Ford Road doors reopened today after two days of cleanup work.

Store personnel declined comment. They learned Saturday morning a recliner with electrical components had combusted.

Fire Chief Chris Stoecklein said firefighters were dispatched to an alarm at the store around 5 a.m. Saturday

Upon arrival, they saw some light smoke inside the building. They made a forced entry and discovered a sprinkler system had put out the fire.

They worked on mitigating the smoke damage and turning off the sprinkler system.

Stoecklein said the small blaze was probably an electrical fire, causing about $30,000 in damage to the recliner and its surroundings.

Art Van’s Canton store opened in early 2018. It was the first completely new store the furniture business built in 20 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *