Shrewsbury, MA – Fire sprinklers extinguish fire in acid room of manufacturing company

hief James Vuona reports that the Shrewsbury Fire Department responded to a fire at Supercon Inc. on the morning of March 5.

At 3:40 a.m., fire officials received a 911 call indicating there was a fire in the company’s acid room. The acid room contains open top acid tanks where coils of wire are washed as part of the company’s manufacturing process.

Upon arrival at 830 Boston Turnpike, firefighters noticed light smoke in the building’s loading dock area. The building’s fire alarm and sprinkler systems were activated.

Firefighters metered the building’s main entrance, acid room and loading dock for dangerous or explosive gases and used a pole camera to get a visual of the acid room in order to see if a fire could be located. The meter gave negative readings in all parts of the building measured, and the camera showed no visible fire.

Firefighters were then able to enter the building to investigate the acid room and confirmed that the fire had been extinguished by the sprinkler system and that there were no leaking chemicals and no risk of contamination in the room.

The State Hazmat Team was called to the scene and deemed the building clear for operations around 5:30 a.m.

“This fire was quickly extinguished with help from the building’s sprinkler system,” said Vuona. “Thankfully there was no resulting hazmat incident or chemical related fire and the situation was quickly resolved.”

An investigation into the cause of the fire is underway by the Shrewsbury Fire Department and State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *