Fire crews responded to a small electrical fire this afternoon at the Palm Beach Country Club. The fire occurred in a concrete storage area just behind a section of the golf course that fronts North Lake Way in Palm Beach. There were no reported injuries and only minimal property damage after a lighting ballast caught fire, spread to the rafters and then fell onto a cart, igniting it. The sprinkler system engaged, and there was no reported water damage.
“Had this fire been at night, it would have been a whole different ball game,” said Sean Baker, division chief of the Palm Beach Fire Rescue Department, who was on the scene. Baker said the fire narrowly missed a fertilizer spray cart. “Thankfully, the quick response time and time of day stopped it from spreading,” he said.