Palatine, IL – Dryer fire from built up lint put out by apartment fire sprinkler; No injuries reported

Built up lint in a clothes dryer was deemed the cause of an accidental fire inside a Palatine apartment Thursday, Aug. 27.

According to fire officials, at 11:19 a.m., crews responded to the report of a fire at 1205 N. Sterling Ave., located between Dundee Road and Northwest Highway west of Quentin Road in Palatine.

The first crews arrived on the scene at 11:23 a.m. and were told by maintenance that there was a fire in unit 110. Fire department crews made access to the first floor and found smoke and water in the hallway.

Upon entering the unit, fire crews found that an automatic fire sprinkler system had activated. A single sprinkler head activation extinguished the fire and limited damage to the rest of the unit, fire officials said. The fire was declared under control at 11:30 a.m.

Firefighters continued to perform salvage, overhaul, and investigative activities for some time after that. No civilians or firefighters were injured in the fire, which was contained to the apartment’s closet.

Damage was estimated at about $10,000 and the unit was ruled uninhabitable for the three residents due to smoke damage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *