The automatic sprinkler system kept an early morning fire at Stanton Tower from becoming worse. Fremont Fire Department crews were called to the eighth floor of Stanton Tower at 3:56 a.m. Friday. “The sprinkler system is priceless,” Capt. Pat Tawney said. Tawney said it appears the resident had left a placed a piece of wood on top of the stove and then a microwave on top of that. So far, it’s undetermined how the fire started.
Smoke was contained to the eighth floor of the high-rise apartment building. Typically, Tawney said, the department recommends residents at either Gifford Tower or Stanton Tower remain in their apartments and place a towel at the bottom of the door when there is a fire in another unit until firefighters ask them to evacuate. Sprinklers and the concrete construction of the buildings help keep fires from spreading.