East Wenatchee, WA – Sprinkler system extinguishes cooking fire caused by oil

A Tuesday night structure fire in East Wenatchee left occupants displaced and was a result of oil left cooking on the stove.

According to public information officer, Kay McKellar, Douglas County Fire District 2 responded to the structure fire around 9 p.m. in the 500 block of 11th street. A man in the home was cooking oil on the stove and left to head to the grocery store. When he returned home, the oil had started a small fire.

The overhead sprinkler did put out the fire, however there was water damage from the sprinkler to both the unit and the one below. The Red Cross was called to assist with the displaced occupants.