Durham, NC – Sprinkler system activated for fire in apartment building

A senior citizen was rescued from an apartment fire Tuesday night.

Firefighters responded to the senior apartment building, The Veranda at Whitted School, located at 200 East Umstead St., around 10:15 p.m.

A neighbor met firefighters to tell them an apartment was on fire.

The crew entered a smoke-filled apartment and rescued one resident inside a bedroom. The resident was in good condition but was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Firefighters said an unattended hot stove may have caused the fire. A sprinkler system helped extinguished the fire, but there was water damage in the apartment and in a daycare located below.

If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop, officials warned, saying cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.