Wichita Falls, TX – Sprinkler system activated for fire at apartment complex

A two-alarm fire broke out early Friday in a Wichita Falls apartment complex that caters to Midwestern State  University students.

According to Wichita Falls Fire Depart assistant fire marshal Jared Burchett:

The alarm at Mustang Village, 5005 Lake Park Drive, came in shortly before 1:30 a.m. Firefighters received a report multiple people were trapped with some jumping from windows to escape.

The first fire trucks on the scene reported smoke coming from one of the buildings. Firefighters ran hoses and began rescuing multiple people from the burning structure.

It was discovered most of the fire damage was to an exterior potion of a storage area located in a corridor of a stairwell. The fire appeared to have spread along some plastic siding, through the stairwell and up to the third floor. Burchett said residents attempted to put the fire out with fire extinguishers and the building’s sprinkler system was activated.

AMR medics evacuated multiple people at the scene, but no one was transported to the hospital. A man and woman were seen being treated for what appeared to be smoke inhalation.

The American Red Cross was called to assist 13 people affected by the fire.