Tisbury fire chief John Schilling said the explosion happened when a butane single-burner appliance malfunctioned. No one was injured, and damage to the building was minimal.
“The small explosion of the fuel source caught the unit on fire, and the fire extended to surrounding materials on counter top and traveled up the wall,” Chief Schilling said. He added, “The sprinkler system activated and did its job.”
The incident happened near the intersection at about 3:55 p.m. on Tuesday, “on a rainy afternoon in August while the boat’s unloading,” Mr. Schilling said. Tisbury fire, police and EMS responded and staged equipment on the Beach street extension.