Tag Archives: Virginia

Arlington, VA – Early morning fire at luxury high-rise condominium building contained by sprinkler system

One person was sent to the hospital for observation after a fire in a Virginia Square condominium Friday morning.  The fire was reported around 6:30 a.m. at the high-rise Hawthorn condo building, which is located at 820 N. Pollard Street, across Wilson Blvd from Gold’s Gym. Continue Reading »

Salem, VA – Structure fire at landfill mostly extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Crews have extinguished a structure fire at a landfill in Roanoke County.  The fire, which was determined to have been sparked by a welding operation, was burning at the Smith Gap Regional Landfill, according to Roanoke County Fire & Rescue.  The welding was taking place on a garbage tipper machine when combustible materials ignited in that area, causing a fire in the garbage tipper. Continue Reading »

Colonial Heights, VA – Fire in meat department of grocery store suppressed by sprinkler system

Crews from multiple jurisdictions responded to a fire inside the Food Lion located in the Dunlop Village shopping center in Colonial Heights. At approximately 4:46 p.m., Colonial Heights and Chesterfield Fire arrived on scene and were told that the Food Lion had a fire in the meat department.Continue Reading »

Newport News, VA – Trash chute fire in multi-use residential building extinguished by sprinkler system

Newport News multi-purpose building was evacuated Thursday afternoon after a fire started in a trash chute, an official said. Firefighters responded to a report of an alarm activation reporting smoke inside the building in the 200 block of Nat Turner Blvd.Continue Reading »

Roanoke, VA – Downtown apartment fire kept from spreading with help from sprinkler system

An apartment fire has been contained, according to the Roanoke Fire Department Thursday.  The call came in around 3:45 p.m. to the West Station Apartments in Downtown Roanoke.  Units were on scene for about an hour and crews say that the smoke damage mostly remained in one apartment where it started.Continue Reading »

Chesapeake, VA – Apartment fire caused by malfunctioning heater extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries

An apartment building in Chesapeake caught fire Sunday night. Firefighters were called to the 2800 block of Parkside Drive around 8:35 p.m., and arrived 6 minutes later. Smoke was coming from the two-story building. As fire crews entered the building they found that a fire in a first floor apartment unit had been extinguished by the building’s fire sprinkler system.Continue Reading »