Hyundai recalled some 77,000 Kona EVs in 2020 due to the risk of them bursting into flames from possibly defective battery packs and even though it supposedly fixed all vehicles that potentially had problems, the fires didn’t completely go away. Now another electric Kona caught fire while it was parked in an underground parking lot in Quebec City, Canada.
Firefighters responded to the call but they say they first had to ventilate the underground part of the building in order to gain access to the vehicle in order to extract it from the garage. They quickly managed to do that and even though they say it was the battery pack that was the source of the fire, this particular Hyundai Kona Electric has much less damage compared to others we’ve seen.
It is also noted that the vehicle was parked under a sprinkler for the emergency fire suppression system and even though the battery pack (the source of the fire) was under the car where water couldn’t quite reach it, it probably played its part in keeping the fire contained and preventing it from spreading to other cars parked nearby.
It was not noted in any of the reports that we found whether or not the vehicle had been plugged in and charging when the fire started.
The fire was reported at around 4 AM and firefighters decided to evacuate the entire eight-story building to make sure everyone was safe. Even though the fire was contained and flames were never visible from the outside, smoke had apparently entered the building’s ventilation ducts, posing health risks and making the evacuation necessary.
Everybody was given the green light to return to their homes two hours later and the fire reportedly caused no damage to the building or any of the other cars parked there at the time.
An early morning fire at the Islamic Community Centre on Grande Allee Blvd. in Brossard, Que., was most likely started by an electrical issue, according to Longueuil Police.
Firefighters arrived at the mosque around 1a.m Saturday morning. The fire was already being extinguished by the building’s emergency sprinkler system. Firefighters were able to control the blaze in about 30 minutes.
According to security footage, there was nobody inside at the time. No injuries were reported.
Investigators say there is about $50,000 in damages.
On the morning of July 2nd 2019 a fire ignited in a recycling bay at CRI Environment Inc. located at 75 du Progrès in Côteau du Lac, Quebec and when the firefighters arrived at 9:00AM the fire was contained in the bay of origin by the activation of multiples sprinkler heads and was finally put out manually soon after. A total of 21 large orifice upright sprinklers fed by a dry pipe system activated and saved the building structure according to the staff.
A suspicious fire occurred early Sunday morning at a Saint-Leonard restaurant, according to Montreal police.
Authorities received a call at 12:25 a.m. of a fire at a pizzeria on Langelier Boulevard and Magloire Street, said police spokesperson Julien Lévesque.
The building’s sprinkler system put out the fire by the time firefighters arrived on site.
The back door of the business was smashed open and an accelerant material was found at the scene, said police.
There were no injuries or witnesses. The business was closed when the incident happened. Most of the damages were caused by the accumulated water from the sprinklers and not the fire.
There are no suspects at this time, said Lévesque.
The case is being investigated by the police’s arson unit. The site is closed off for investigation.