Firefighters responded to an overnight fire at a nursing home in Des Peres.
The call came in around 1:35 a.m. for a fire at a nursing facility at the Sunrise Assisted Living Facility at 13460 Manchester Road. Firefighters say the fire was in the laundry room. Alarms notified the staff, and the sprinkler system kept the fire contained until crews arrived.
No injuries were reported and an evacuation was not necessary as the fire was contained to the laundry room.
A fire Saturday morning at Comfort Inn and Suites in Chillicothe was contained to one room, although there was smoke and water damage to a hallway and several other rooms.
Chillicothe Fire Chief Eric Reeter said a sprinkler system extinguished the blaze after a maintenance crew in the hotel attempted to use a fire extinguisher but were not successful.
While firefighters were en route to the blaze, the police department advised officers were on the scene, stating there was a fire in room 304. Officers had evacuated occupants from the building by the time firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported.
Chillicothe firefighters were on the scene for nearly two and one-half hours. An investigation was underway by the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s office.
Comfort Inn and Suites is located at 250 East Business Highway 36 in Chillicothe.
Branson firefighters helped clean up a church that caught on fire Saturday evening, which allowed the church to hold its Sunday morning service without any setbacks.
Fire crews responded after an automatic fire alarm went off Saturday at Faith and Wisdom Church.
When firefighters arrived, they determined the fire had started in a small utility room. The fire had been extinguished by the fire sprinkler system, but firefighters had to shut off the sprinklers.
Crews helped out with extensive cleanup, using vent fans to clear out the smoke. They also used squeegees to remove water from the building to prevent it from spreading into the sanctuary.
It’s unclear how much damage the fire caused at this time or how it started. Though the church was able to reopen Sunday and hold morning services.
The Boone County Fire Protection District rescued 18 dogs out of a Midway motel Friday morning, after responding to a commercial structure fire.
Assistant Chief Gale Blomenkamp told KOMU 8 that crews were originally dispatched around 8 a.m. to a reported fire alarm at the Budget Inn at Midway. It “quickly” changed to a commercial structure fire.
Crews saw smoke coming from the lower level of the two-story motel.
Firefighters made entry to the motel where they found the fire in room 209. Blomenkamp said the sprinkler system was flowing in the room, helping keep the fire in check.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining hot spots and rescued 18 dogs located in the room.
Blomenkamp said the investigation is ongoing.
KOMU 8 has reached out to Boone County Animal Control and the Central Missouri Humane Society for comment but has not heard back by the publishing of this story.
A Fulton woman was arrested for arson in the first degree after a fire was allegedly intentionally set in the basement of the Moser’s off of North Business 54.
Pamela Cordrey, 48, is an employee of the Moser’s and was working at the time of the fire. She was arrested and taken to the Callaway County Jail on no bond, the Fulton Police Department said.
The Fulton Police Department alongside the Fulton Fire Department, Central Fire Department and Callaway EMS responded to the fire around 2:07 p.m.
In a press release, the Fulton Fire Department said upon arrival of the first engine company smoke was showing from the grocery store. Fire crews made entry into the structure and reported moderate smoke inside the structure.
When the fire crews entered the basement, there was an active fire with the fire sprinkler system activated. Fire was extinguished within minutes.
With the help of the Missouri State Fire Marshal’s office, Fulton Police said it was determined that the fire was set intentionally and caused significant damage to the area.
The Fulton Fire Department said the structure received smoke and minor water damages and that the Estimated loss is unavailable at this time.
Fulton Police posted on Facebook around 2:55 p.m. Wednesday, announcing Moser’s would be closed until further notice.
Anyone with any information should call the Fulton Police Department at 573-592-3100, Crime Stoppers at 573-592-2474 or your local law enforcement agency.
Firefighters from multiple agencies raced to extinguish a fire Wednesday night at a Dierbergs store in West St. Louis County.
The call came in just after 8:10 p.m. at the Dierbergs at 1080 Lindemann Road.
The fire began in the paper aisle.
No one was injured and the store was safely evacuated. The sprinkler system did activate.
The fire was put out approximately 90 minutes later.
The St. Louis County Bomb and Arson Division is now investigating.
On Friday, January 1, 2021, at 2:46 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to reported structure fire at America’s Best Value Inn, 1020 SE Blue Parkway. The caller reported smoke in the first floor hallway, possibly coming from a meeting room. The hotel was being evacuated.
When the fire department arrived, there was nothing visible from the outside of the three-story hotel. Crews entered the building and found the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system had activated in the first floor meeting room and extinguished a fire involving a wall mounted heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Water flow was discontinued from the sprinkler head and the area was checked for fire spread to the wall and second floor. A search of the entire building found a few occupants still in the building that were removed. Crews assisted with smoke removal from the building. The incident was under control by 3:14 p.m.
The fire was contained to the area of the HVAC unit with significant smoke damage to the meeting room, and minor damage to the hallway. The cause of the fire was determined to be a faulty HVAC unit.
Portions of the hotel were able to be reoccupied.
Weeks after opening to the public, Le Meridien Hotel in Clayton caught fire.
Nine firefighters responded to the hotel at 7730 Bonhomme Avenue Friday morning. When they arrived, people were already being evacuated from the building.
The fire started in the 5th floor housekeeping linen closet and was reportedly controlled by the building’s fire suppression system.
Fire officials said the smoke and water damage appears to be confined to the floor.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
A small fire set to a clothing rack at a Walmart in St. Charles on Saturday was likely started by a child, police said Sunday.
The fire about 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Walmart at 2897 Veterans Memorial Parkway created a lot of smoke but injured no one.
When firefighters arrived, they found that the conflagration was confined to a rack of clothes in the men’s department, said Mike Grzyb, the St. Charles deputy fire chief. The flames were quickly extinguished by a combination of the sprinkler system and firefighters, he said.
Surveillance footage from the inside of the store showed a child, a boy less than 10 years old, hiding inside the circular clothing rack shortly before it caught fire, St. Charles Police Lt. Tom Wilkison said Sunday.
The child left the store with his mother shortly after the fire began, Wilkison said. Police had not yet identified or located the child, he said.
The investigation will be referred to St. Charles County juvenile services once complete, Wilkison said.
The store sustained extensive smoke damage and moderate water damage from the sprinklers, Grzyb said. Firefighters removed skylights to help clear out the smoke.
A fire started around 7 p.m. Wednesday at Tipton Linen Service on Independence Street in Cape Girardeau.
According to firefighters on the scene, smoke was coming out of the roof.
Upon entering the building they discovered one of the laundry hampers was on fire.
The sprinkler system was activated and the fire was contained until firefighters were able to put it out.
One block of Independence Street west of West End Boulevard is blocked until 8:30 this evening.