Tag Archives: Mississippi

Starkville, MS – Possible arson fire at off-campus apartment complex doused by sprinkler system

An early morning fire at a Starkville apartment complex left several units damaged and law enforcement investigating a potential arson case. Lt. Brett Watson of the Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Office told the SDN on Monday the fire was being investigated as a possible arson by the sheriff’s office and Mississippi State Fire Marshal’s office.Continue Reading »

Kiln, MS – Sprinkler system keeps fire from spreading at middle school; Classes canceled two days

Hancock Middle School will resume class as normal Wednesday morning, Assistant Superintendent Donnie Gholston said. School officials had canceled classes because a fire Monday morning set off sprinklers and flooded classrooms.  Maintenance company ServPro and the school’s custodial staff worked Monday and Tuesday to mop up the water and sanitize the school. Continue Reading »

Oxford, MS – Grease fire at off-campus apartments extinguished by sprinkler system

*** Fire Department Reported *** – Grease fire at 9:46 p.m. at The Connection – a resident put water on the grease fire which caused the fire to reach the sprinkler system which put the fire out.

The Connection at Oxford is less than one mile from campus, and you’ll save gas, by riding the OUT Bus, which takes you directly to class as well as many on-campus sites, and off campus shopping within the city, along with the famous Oxford Square!Continue Reading »

Corinth, MS – Sprinkler system helps contain fire to dust collector at Kimberly-Clark facility

All four units of the Corinth Fire Department responded to a fire just after midnight Friday at the Kimberly-Clark Professional facility. Corinth Fire Chief Lucky Briggs said the water sprinkler system engaged and firefighters had the blaze under control shortly after arrival.Continue Reading »

Biloxi, MS – Fire at assisted living facility held in check by sprinkler system; No injuries

The grounds surrounding the Pillars were filled with emergency vehicles and crews throughout the morning on Wednesday, after flames forced residents and staff at the Pillars Medical Residences in Biloxi to evacuate.

Fire Chief, Joe Boney says the fire wasn’t as involved as others he’s seen, but it was still a dangerous situation.Continue Reading »

Meridian, MS – Fire at Salvation Army store extinguished by sprinkler system

The Salvation Army Thrift Store in Meridian suffered an overnight fire. “It seems it has wiped out our entire contents, either with water damage or the smoke damage,” said Salvation Army commander, Maj. Glenn Riggs. “So, we’re in a real difficult situation because we have to close and reset.”

Riggs says the building suffered minor damage and the fire was luckily put out by the sprinkler system.Continue Reading »

Ridgeland, MS – Sprinklers activate in hotel grease fire; Guests safely evacuated

Some 70 people were forced from an Extended Stay Hotel on Ridgewood Road Monday night when fire broke out.

Assistant Ridgeland Fire Chief Allen McCluer told WLBT-TV that a grease fire activated the sprinkler system.

McCluer described charring on the wall, a little fire damage and about 3 inches of water in the room where the fire started.Continue Reading »

Meridian, MS – Sprinkler system helps save Outback Steakhouse

An automatic sprinkler system apparently did enough to help save Meridian from losing its Outback Steakhouse.  Meridian Fire Chief Anthony Clayton said Tuesday that the sprinkler system did its job well enough to aid the arrival of the Meridian Fire Department, which extinguished the Monday afternoon fire at the steakhouse located at the Meridian Crossroads.Continue Reading »

Fire at Mississippi State University dormitory contained by sprinkler system (Starkville, MS)

Mississippi State University officials say repairs are beginning immediately on a women’s dormitory that was damaged by a Sunday night fire that appears to have been started by a candle burning in one of the rooms. The university said nobody was injured, but more than 150 students stayed elsewhere Sunday night after a fire began around 8 p.m.Continue Reading »