Tag Archives: Massachusetts

Concord, MA – High school fire caused by malfunctioning electrical equipment with fish tank is contained by sprinkler system

A fire started in Concord-Carlisle Regional High School the morning of Tuesday, July 31 at approximately 5:40, according to district spokesman Tom Lucey.  Members of the Concord Fire Department and the state fire marshal were still investigating the incident, but the officials suspect electrical equipment associated with a fish tank caused the fire. Continue Reading »

Hyannis, MA – Sprinkler system controlled laptop fire at The Times offices

UPDATE 1:30 P.M. – The Times states that the fire started in a laptop computer, burned the edge of a desk and spread to a chair.  The chair fire released clouds of smoke before being extinguished.  [You may recall Fire Marshal Ostroskey speaking with us on “Lower Cape Today” about the smoke and toxic fumes that come from burning furniture in today’s homes.]

UPDATE 10:30 A.M.Continue Reading »

Salem, MA – Early morning fire at low-income apartment block suppressed by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Recent upgrades to an apartment building on Dow Street ensured that a fire early Monday morning at the complex did not become a tragedy.  The fire, on a fourth-floor back porch at 52-60 Dow St. in Salem’s Point neighborhood, was reported at 3:41 a.m., according to the Salem Fire Department.Continue Reading »

Springfield, MA – Arson fire at apartment building extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

No injuries were reported late Thursday morning after a female barricaded herself inside a downtown apartment and set a recliner chair on fire. The incident occurred in a fourth floor apartment at 1607 Main St., shortly before 11:45 a.m., Dennis Leger, aide to Commissioner Bernard J.Continue Reading »

Boston, MA – Residence hall fire at Boston College contained with help from sprinkler system, No injuries reported

A fire broke out on the fourth floor of Welch Hall shortly after midnight last Tuesday morning. The fire was most likely due to a small refrigerator experiencing an electrical issue, according to Eric Fricke, a spokesman for the City of Newton Fire Department.… Continue Reading »

Brockton, MA – Fire at recycling and waste management facility doused by sprinkler system

The sprinkler system at Champion City Recovery did its job early Sunday morning, containing a fire at the transfer station before firefighters arrived. Fire officials responded to the scene at 138 Wilder St. at 2:23 a.m., discovering smoke and fire from a debris pile within the main building.Continue Reading »