Tag Archives: Florida

Treasure Island, FL – Sprinkler system activated for kitchen fire at restaurant

Treasure Island Fire Rescue responded to a small fire in the kitchen at Sea Dogs Brewing Company, 9610 Gulf Blvd, shortly before noon on Friday.

Officials say the fire was contained with the help of a sprinkler system inside the kitchen.

One employee received minor injuries related to smoke inhalation. The business will be closed for the remainder of the day.

TIFR is working with the restaurant to assist them in opening back up on Saturday.

Maitland, FL – Sprinkler system activated for fire in kitchen; No injuries reported

There were no injuries reported after a fire broke out in a kitchen in a Maitland neighborhood over the weekend.

On Saturday, March 18, units from the Maitland Fire Rescue responded to Lake Shadow Circle in the Visconti neighborhood after reports of a fire.

According to officials, the fire broke out in the kitchen and quickly triggered the interior sprinkler system.

The sprinkler system contained the fire to the interior kitchen area.

No injuries were reported by authorities.

Coral Gables, FL – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire on university campus; No injuries reported

The Coral Gables Fire Department responded to a blaze on the campus of the University of Miami.

It happened Sunday afternoon after officials said a fire sparked in a science classroom.

According to Coral Gables Fire, the building sprinkler system was able to put out the flames and contain it to its room of origin.

Firefighters said chemicals were involved, so a City of Miami Hazmat team was deployed to monitor air quality as an additional precaution.

Hazmat officials gave an all clear, indicating that the chemicals in the fire were contained and did not spread, and they are no longer present.

No injuries were reported.

West Palm Beach, FL – Sprinkler system extinguishes dryer fire at hair salon; No injuries reported

These firefighters saved the day in more ways than one.

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue responded to a report of a fire at a hair salon in South Florida on Friday.

The building had to be evacuated after a dryer caught fire, setting off the fire alarm and sprinkler system.

But for one client in the hair salon, time was of the essence, firefighters said.

“She had chemicals in her hair that had to be washed out on time,” the fire department wrote.

Once firefighters determined that the situation was under control, they ran a hose from the water in their fire engine to make sure the hairstylist could properly rinse her client’s hair.

“This is a first! What you have to do when the building catches on fire and clients have color in their hair,” one woman from the salon can be heard saying in the video on the agency’s Facebook page. “Thank you, Palm Beach County Fire Department!”

Firefighters said the building’s sprinkler system put out the dryer fire, and no one was injured.

Miami, FL – Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at apartment building; No injuries reported

An investigation is underway after a fire broke out inside a Miami apartment building.

It happened along 79th Street and Northeast Bayshore Court, at around 8 p.m., Monday.

Miami Fire Rescue and Police discovered illegal drugs once they got inside the unit.

They also said the building’s sprinkler system put out the flames before they arrived.

No injuries were reported.

There is no word on any arrests made.

Cocoa, FL – Sprinkler system activated for fire at senior living facility

A senior living facility in Cocoa suffered a fire in its second story on Saturday.

The fire occurred on the 1000 block of Clearlake Road in Cocoa, according to the American Red Cross.

Authorities said a sprinkler system put out the fire, but there was water damage and 30 people were displaced.

The Red Cross said no temporary shelter was needed, but that cards were handed out for use of a hotel night if people needed it.

Gainesville, FL – Sprinkler system contains apartment fire; No injuries reported

Gainesville and Alachua County Fire Rescue responded to an apartment fire on Sunday.

A resident reported smoke inside of their apartment on the third floor around 5 p.m.

When rescuers arrived, heavy smoke was visible inside, but the sprinkler system inside contained the fire to the closet.

Crews were quickly able to extinguish the small fire.

No people were injured.

Boca Raton, FL – Sprinkler system activated for dryer fire at college dorm

At around 10:28 p.m. the fire alarm at Heritage Park Towers (HPT) went off, prompting residents of the building to evacuate. 

“It started on the first floor in the laundry room in HPT’s south tower. What lit on fire was one of the dryers,” said resident Lorenzo Biondo, who was in the laundry room when the fire started. 

“I was in the [laundry] room, and I saw smoke,” continued Biondo.  “We opened the dryer that the smoke was coming from and there was a fire in the back of the machine that started to get bigger.” 

According to firefighter Raquel Lea, the laundry room will most likely be closed off for an ​​unknown amount of time as the fire sprinkler system has since flooded the room. 

The fire alarm went off within a minute of opening the dryer. 

“I believe it was an RA who pulled the fire alarm. It happened relatively quickly,” Biondo said.

As residents began to evacuate the building, they crowded on the breezeway. 

“I instructed them to move towards the volleyball courts,” said HPT resident assistant Christine Robinson, “which is the protocol we are taught as a resident assistant.” 

Resident Darien Strevel described their experience while evacuating the building. 

“I walked down to the first floor and it was really hot,” they said.

Amaya Swelland, a first floor resident of Heritage Park Towers was scared by the fire. 

“I was sitting at my computer and suddenly I heard an alarm,” Swelland stated. “I ran out to the hall and there was smoke everywhere. I heard people saying that it was a dryer, which made sense because the laundry room is located on my floor.”

Around 11:12 p.m., several firemen collectively pulled out the heavy dryer that started the fire. There was an audible cheer from the residents of HPT, who were still gathered outside of the building. Many residents began clapping. 

As of 1:30 a.m., students are still evacuated outside of the building.

Margate, FL – Sprinkler system keeps fire under control at Public Works Facility

Firefighters worked to put out a fire in Margate.

The fire broke out at a Public Works facility near North Rock Island Road and First Street, Saturday.

Heavy smoke could be seen billowing from the building.

Firefighters knocked down the fire to limit the extent of the damage.

Officials said the sprinkler system was key in keeping the fire under control.

Destin, FL – Sprinkler system activated for kitchen fire at restaurant; No injuries reported

According to the South Walton Fire District crews, Saturday morning responded to an alarm call for a potential structure fire in the area of Baytowne Wharf.

Officials said Firefighters arrived around 7 a.m. and reported the smell of smoke and sprinkler activation near Observation Point North.

Firefighters said after searching for the source they forced entry into the Marlin Grill where smoke and an active fire were located in the kitchen.

The fire was extinguished quickly.

Officials say the fire’s damage was contained to the commercial kitchen area but there was some water damage to the restaurant from the sprinkler system.

The SWFD Fire Marshal said after investigating the incident it was determined the fire was accidental in nature, likely related to improper storage of cooking supplies and materials.

No injuries were reported.