Firefighters quickly knocked down flames at National Wood Products of Maine on Route 26 on Wednesday morning, Oxford Fire Chief Wayne Jones said. The fire was accidental, he said. No one was injured. “The fire began in the area where the employees do the painting of their products,” Jones said. “They were doing some maintenance on the paint booth when the fire started.” The fire was reported at 7:46 a.m.
The chief said the woodworking plant has a sprinkler system that “kept the fire intact” while the firefighters drove to the scene. “When you have a paint booth, there’s always the potential for an accidental fire, which is why businesses make sure those areas are explosion-proof,” Jones said. “It’s to prevent those types of fires from occurring or getting out of control, due to paint fumes or something else.”
National Wood Products of Maine supplies elaborate and simple furniture components and a wide variety of wood species, and produces finished furniture, ranging from juvenile furniture to adult lawn chairs. Jones praised the work for firefighters from Oxford, Norway, Paris, Mechanic Falls and Poland.