NEWARK, CA — A 2-alarm fire at a Newark business was contained to a test room within 30 minutes of Alameda County firefighters arriving at the scene Thursday morning, according to fire department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles.
The fire broke out at NTS Newark Test Lab, located at 38995 Cherry Street. “A large lead-acid battery caught fire and was held in check by the sprinkler system. The battery is approximately 3’x2’x2′,” Knowles told Patch. “The business had some residual smoke through the adjacent office space, but minimal damage overall in the test room.”