New London, CT – Kitchen fire in high-rise apartment put out by sprinkler system

A small kitchen fire in the high-rise at 202 Colman St. on Friday night activated the sprinkler units in the building, flooding some apartments.

City firefighters received the call at 7:36 p.m. for a stove fire in a unit on the second floor. The sprinkler system put out the fire but flooded units on the first and second floors, the fire department said. Responding firefighters evacuated eight apartments, ventilated the building and assisted with water removal.

The resident of the apartment where the fire occurred had to be relocated and was being assisted by Red Cross.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *