A fire set intentionally by students at the Crawford County Career and Technical Center on Thursday was extinguished almost immediately by the facility’s sprinkler system, according to Chief Evan Hasko of Meadville Central Fire Department.
The fire, which was reported at 8:58 a.m., was contained to a paint mixing room in the school’s auto collision technology department, according to Hasko and Crawford County 911.
“We had a little incident at the vo-tech this morning,” Hasko said. “The sprinkler system did what it was supposed to do.
No one was injured, Hasko said, and the damage, primarily caused by the water that extinguished the fire, was minimal.
Hasko described the paint mixing area where the students set the fire as a booth not quite 8-by-10 feet in area.
Firefighters checked that the fire had been completely extinguished and shut off the water supply to the sprinkler system when they arrived, according to Hasko.
Three students were involved in setting the fire, Hasko said, and they were “turned over to school officials and law enforcement to handle.”
Hasko declined to identify the students, citing their status as minors.
“They fessed up,” Hasko said of the students. “I’m sure their parents aren’t going to be happy to get a call.”