The State Fire Marshal’s Office says Philip Gray, 85, and his son, Thomas, were moving into a home at 3175 Main Street. Philip Stone was alone in the house late Wednesday morning at around 11:47 when he discovered a fire in a bedroom of the two-story home. He tried to put it out, but the residential sprinkler system was activated. The flames were contained to the bedroom when fire fighters from the Manchester Volunteer Fire Company responded. Personnel used a minimal amount of water to extinguish the remainder of the fire.
Damage is estimated at $35,000 to the home and its contents, and was contained to the bedroom. . The sprinkler activation is crediting with keeping the small fire contained to its area of origin, according to the Fire Marsha’s Office.