Authorities said occupants of the apartment complex in the 800 block of Williamson Street were evacuating the building as firefighters arrived just after 6 p.m. Tuesday.
When crews entered the building and made it to the second floor where the fire initially broke out, they found an automatic sprinkler flowing, but no active fire. Crews then shut off the sprinkler system and worked to remove water from the unit.
The occupant of the unit where the fire started told firefighters they were heating up a butane-powered hot pot when flames began coming from the butane bottle rather than the burner. The occupant threw water on the flames which caused a flare-up that triggered the sprinkler. The sprinkler put out the fire before firefighters arrived.
No one was injured in the incident, according to fire officials.