Jackson Fire Department District Chief Shunta Wilder told the Clarion Ledger a “small fire,” contained to one apartment unit, broke out at 308 E. Pearl St. It is currently under investigation, she said.
Cosby said as he left his unit, he grabbed his wallet so he would have identification on hand. Everything else, including family heirlooms, he left behind.
He could see and smell smoke as he headed down the stairs.
Cosby and his roommate looked worried as they stood on the sidewalk across the street to watch the firefighters at work.
“We don’t know what is what inside. We got to wait and see,” he said.
Fire breaks out on 10th floor of downtown Jackson building
At least five firetrucks rushed on scene. A firefighter could be seen opening three windows on the 10th floor of the building, letting the smoke out.
Summer Land lives on 10th floor of the building. She said she was doing homework when the alarm started blaring. Not long after that, the sprinkler system kicked in.
Tenants were told to evacuate and not use the elevators, Land said.
“It was very clear what we should do. It was loud, too,” she said.
Subway restaurant employees, who work on the ground floor of the same building, were also evacuated, as water continued to trickle down from above.