Hingham, MA – Classroom electrical fire kept in check by fire sprinklers

Classes at Hingham High were cancelled today after a fire broke out in a classroom cabinet full of electronics early Friday morning.

The fire was put out by 7 a.m., but Deputy Fire Chief William Powers said there is smoke and water damage throughout the building. He said fire, cleanup and alarm crews on scene are hoping the school can reopen Monday morning, Wicked Local reported.

“On scene we had a heavy smoke condition and a water flow, which meant the sprinklers had fused,” Powers said.

The deputy chief said the fire started in a classroom cabinet that held a TV, VCR and several computers.

“Something obviously overheated and caused an electrical fire,” he said. “The sprinkler head directly above the cabinet kept the fire in check, but it continued burning in the cabinet until we got there.”

Firefighters cut off power to the building.

“There is a need for cleanup and we cannot occupy the building today,” Superintendent Dorothy Galo said in a message Friday morning. “We will appreciate everyone’s cooperation in staying away from the HS building to allow the needed cleanup.”

All classes and Advanced Placement exams have been cancelled. Galo said students who were scheduled to take an AP exam will be contacted individually.

High School administrators are working from Town Hall. Classes in Hingham’s other five schools will still take place.

Weymouth, Hull and Cohasset firefighters responded to the school when the second alarm sounded, and Rockland and Scituate covered the station.

Powers said the school is about 800 feet from the Hingham fire headquarters, which prompted quick response from firefighters. He said there were no injuries.

The fire is being investigated by Hingham police and fire, the Hinghal building inspector and the state fire marshal’s office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *