Guelph, ON, Canada – Sprinkler system stops fire from spreading after 3D printer catches on fire at condo

A 3D printer caused a fire at a Guelph condo building, leading to water damage for several units and displacing tenants, according to the Guelph Fire Department.

Police got the call just after 11 p.m. on Thursday.

The fire and smoke were coming from a bedroom on the fifth floor at 1291 Gordon Street. That’s where a 3D printer had overheated and started the fire, police said. 

“It was determined 100 per cent the 3D printer was the source. It’s the only ignition source in the room,” said Ian Hickey, fire prevention officer with the Guelph fire department.

The building was evacuated, the fire was extinguished quickly, but the sprinkler system caused water damage for all units below, including on the ground level, according to police.

A number of tenants were displaced because of the water damage. Guelph Hydro-Alectra arrived on the scene because of the water’s impact on the electrical system, police said.

2 thoughts on “Guelph, ON, Canada – Sprinkler system stops fire from spreading after 3D printer catches on fire at condo”

  1. I am amazed at how much emphasis it put on the water damaged caused by an activated sprinkler. There is no mention of the lives saved and property damage mitigated by the sprinkler system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *