Glen Falls, NY – Fire at tissue paper mill contained with help from sprinkler system

Firefighters from several local departments responded to a fire at the Essity Tissue mill in South Glens Falls late Sunday and early Monday, but the mill was up and running as of Monday morning. The fire was initially reported as a fire in a conveyor. No injuries were reported.

No exterior damage was evident from the blaze, which was reported around 10 p.m. Sunday. Firefighters from South Glens Falls, Hudson Falls and West Glens Falls were called to the scene, and remained there until 1 a.m. or so. Calls to the mill and the South Glens Falls Fire Department were not immediately returned Monday morning.

A public relations company emailed a statement later Monday that reported no part of the building was damaged, and the plant’s sprinkler system was triggered by a fire caused by an electrical issue. “No part of the building was damaged. An electrical junction box shorted and the arc caused a fire along the tray just below the roof. The facility was evacuated as a precaution,” plant manager Steve Duell was quoted in the statement as saying. The mill has had a history of small machine fires, with six between 2007 and 2012.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *