The first units arrived around 11:30 p.m and found a fire located in a room on the 400 hall of the facility.
Thirteen residents were forced out of their rooms while six others sheltered in place.
The facility’s sprinkler system had contained the fire to a single room, through the Fayetteville Fire Department said the fire did extend to the exterior of the building.
Crews were able to extenguish the fire, which officials with the department said was caused by a mounted heater.
Cape Fear Valley EMS is assessing residents of the facility, though no injuries have been reported.