An Everson nylon casting business that has suffered two substantial fires since 2006 had another Thursday evening, but the building’s sprinkler system kept damage to a minimum and allowed everybody to get out safely.
Whatcom County Fire District 1, with the assistance of crews from the Lynden Fire Department and North Whatcom Fire and Rescue, responded to a report of a commercial fire at 7:52 p.m. at the Nylatech, Inc. facility at 223 W. Main St.
According to District 1 Chief Mel Bankers in an interview Friday with The Bellingham Herald, a machine that heats up raw plastic and spins it at a high rate of speed before pouring it into a mold malfunctioned.
“One of the employees heard a loud pop,” Blankers told The Herald. “They think it was the sound of a bolt breaking in the machine. After that happened, plastic began to leak out, and it was extremely hot — near its flash point. When the fumes found an ignition source, they ignited.”