According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s office, around 12:15 p.m. on Friday, a wall mounted HVAC unit in the Asbury Senior Apartment Complex failed and caused a fire. The fire escalated to a two alarm fire, causing $15,000 in damage to the structure and $5,000 in damages to the building contests, authorities say.
The fire marshal reports that 18 senior citizens were evacuated from the building during the fire, assisted by the Easton Police Department. The fire marshal says the smoke alarms helped alert the seniors and the sprinklers controlled the fire before 70 firefighters responded to the complex.
While all the seniors escaped, authorities say they have been displaced from the East Dover Street complex due to the damage. The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s office says the American Red Cross is assisting the displaced senior citizens.