“We had a small fire in the laundry room that was contained by the sprinkler system,” District Chief Brad Baldwin of the Dayton Fire Department said of the fire reported around 11:10 p.m. at the facility at 264 Wilmington Ave. in Dayton.
“When our crews arrived, there was a lot of smoke in the rear of the building and there was a small fire that they quickly put out,” he said.
The fire department had a full working fire response because the residents are older and many have mobility issues. However, no one had to evacuate because of the design of the facility and its sprinkler system.
“It worked exactly the way it was supposed to,” Baldwin said of the system.
The laundry area, separated from the living quarters, had fairly small damage, likely a few thousand dollars.