Commerce City, CO – Sprinkler system activated for fire inside fire house

A fire station in Commerce City has been closed and a firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out inside the fire house early Thursday morning.

The incident happened at about 2:10 a.m. at South Adams County Fire Station No. 8, 10326 Walden St., according to a news release.

The fire burned a brush/skeeter truck parked in a bay inside the fire station.

Firefighters were awakened by a fire alarm to heavy smoke and the building’s sprinkler system activated. South Adams Engine 27 responded as did Brighton Fire Truck 53. The fire was extinguished and one firefighter was taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, treated and released.

A breathing apparatus bottle in the truck exploded and produced a “boom” that was heard in the neighborhood, the news release said.

The brush truck is a total loss and station 8 will be closed for an investigation and repairs. Station 6 will serve the area typically covered by the closed station.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *