A Franklin County deputy sheriff was taken to Ohio Health Grant Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in the laundry room of the jail. A small fire in the laundry room of the Franklin County Corrections Center on Jackson Pike resulted in a deputy being taken to Ohio Health Grant Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation.Marc Gofstein, spokesman for the sheriff’s office, said an industrial dryer in the facility’s laundry room caught fire around 7:30 a.m. Friday. The jail, which houses nearly 1,700 inmates, went into an immediate lockdown and a fire suppression sprinkler system kicked on in the laundry area.
No inmates were in the area or were injured in the incident, Gofstein said.Columbus fire crews also responded to the jail and assisted deputies in putting out the small blaze. All deputies in the area were examined by medics and one deputy was taken to Grant for treatment, Gofstein said. That deputy, who is not being named, is in stable condition. The jail remains on lockdown Friday afternoon. Gofstein said there is no visitation permitted and no transportation of inmates from Downtown to the Jackson Pike jail as cleanup continues.