The cause of a fire at Benzie Central High School that caused smoke and fire damage to several rooms has been determined.
According to Amiee Erfourth, superintendent of Benzie Central Schools, a report from the fire marshal stated spontaneous combustion of chemicals used for cleaning started a fire in a maintenance area.
“We think linseed oil was partly to blame,” Erfourth said. “It’s not a chemical we usually use, but it was used to clean some cutting boards. It has a low flashpoint.”
Erfourth said any time linseed oil is used in the future, any paper towels or rags used with it will be stored in water.
Smoke and water damaged flooring and cabinets in the maintenance room and several adjacent rooms.
“We’ll need new flooring in the band room and maintenance room, and we’ll have to repaint the maintenance room,” Erfourth said. “We’ll have to completely re-do the life skills room by replacing the flooring and cabinetry and painting the wall. We’re hoping to have it all done by the time school starts, but that will depend on supply timeline for flooring and cabinetry.”
Erfourth is still working with insurance adjustors to come up with the total cost of repairs. The school is currently working with flooring and cabinetry companies and taking bids for the work needed.
The Benzonia Fire Department responded to an alarm at around 5 p.m. on June 30 at the high school. At first they did not see a fire, but after moving to the back of the building, they saw a fire in a maintenance area. The school’s automatic sprinkler system had put most of the fire out. After the fire department finished putting out the fire, they worked to drive smoke out of the building.
The Frankfort and Homestead fire departments also responded to the call and helped vent smoke and clean up excess water as well.
The Webster Springs Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire Wednesday evening at Webster Springs Elementary School.
According to 911 officials, the call came in just before 7:45 p.m. for a structure fire at Webster Springs Elementary School. The Webster Springs Volunteer Fire Department arrived on scene and was able to quickly put out the fire.
Officials said the staff was stocking supplies to start the summer school home economic class when the stove burner was turned on accidentally. Webster County Office of Emergency Management Director, Richard Rose, also said the fire was accidental.
“A stove top burner got turned on accidentally when staff was stocking supplies to start the summer school home economics class today. There were no staff in the building at the time a passerby noticed water running out of the building and smell of smoke. Sprinkler head activated and kept the fire from spreading. Upon arrival the remaining flames were quickly extinguished with a water can. We remained on scene to clear the building of smoke,” said Rose.
No injuries have been reported.
Sevierville Primary School had to be evacuated briefly Friday afternoon after a small fire caused smoke to fill the area around the school’s kitchen.
According to Sevier County Schools, an appliance issue caused the smoke around 12:15 p.m. The city of Sevierville said fire crews arrived to find a basket of clothes sitting on top of a dryer on fire.
The principal evacuated the school. The Sevierville Fire Department and maintenance crews were called in to respond.
The city said the automatic sprinkler system activated and was able to extinguish most of the fire, and crews put out the rest. The area around the dryer suffered minor damage.
No one was hurt in the incident. SCS said students returned to class about 20 to 30 minutes later.
The school system said it is sending a letter home to parents with more details about the incident.
Waco High School was evacuated for a short time after a fire was reported in one of the building’s restrooms.
Waco Fire Department units were sent to the scene shortly after the noon hour and found that the fire had not extended beyond the one room.
Waco ISD spokesman Joshua Wucher said the automatic sprinkler system knocked down the fire.
There was some minor smoke damage to the restroom, but Wucher said that none of the students or staff were in any real danger.
Students were allowed back into the building a short time later with classes resuming.
An investigation was underway into the source of the fire.
A defective air purifier was likely responsible for an early-morning fire in a first-floor classroom at Central Bucks High School West Sunday, police said.
The school will be closed for the week as damage is assessed, district officials said. All lessons will be conducted virtually.
No injuries were reported from the fire that happened at around 3:30 a.m. at the school located at 375 W. Court St. in Doylestown Borough. Central Bucks Regional Police Chief Karl Knott said the fire resulted from a defective air purifier. He said there was minor damage to one classroom.
“Because of the hour, there were no students or faculty in the building, hence no injuries,” said Knott.
Central Bucks School District officials expressed gratitude for first responders.
“We are deeply grateful that no one was hurt and for the quick response of the Doylestown Fire Company,” Superintendent of Schools John J. Kopicki said in an email to Central Bucks families. “We ask that our students and families allow officials time to do their work and avoid the campus as we work alongside them to secure and inspect the damage at CB West.”
Kopicki notified families across the district in a morning email. He said the fire was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system. He said the Doylestown Fire Company was dispatched and arrived on campus. They are now “assessing and monitoring the scene of the incident.”
Emergency crews are on scene of a fire that broke out at Mt. Juliet Elementary school Monday.
Police said the fire is isolated to one classroom. It’s since been extinguished by the sprinkler system and firefighters.
There have been no reported injuries and Monday is a remote day for students.
Crews remain on the scene investigating.
Police and firefighters are investigating a possible arson that occurred Tuesday at Bryant Elementary School in Kearney.
Around 6 p.m. emergency crews were called to an alarm at the school at 1611 Ave. C. When they arrived there was smoke inside the building.
The investigation revealed a paper towel dispenser had been set on fire in a boys’ bathroom inside the school, said a Kearney Police Department news release.
A sprinkler head in the bathroom contained the fire, said fire Capt. John Sydow. Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire.
Sydow estimated the bathroom sustained an estimated $5,000 damage. The fire is under investigation by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The fire didn’t interrupt any classes Wednesday at Bryant.
A small fire at the southeast entrance to the former Crawfordsville High School on Jefferson Street was quickly extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system Thursday morning.
Damage to the former school, now a residential apartment building called Laurel Flats, was limited to the door itself and did not spread, Fire Chief Scott Busenbark said.
“It just damaged the door that was leaning on it,” Busenbark said. “We had Station 1 and Station 2 on the scene … an alarm like that always gets a full response.”
The fire threatened the gymnasium section of the 110-year-old building, which was added as an expansion to the original building in 1941.
No injuries were reported and the entryway suffered only minor damage due to the sprinkler system.
“It put it out on its own,” Busenbark said.
The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.
Officers from the Crawfordsville Police Department assisted at the scene.
Crews responded to a fire alarm that activated overnight at Fallston Middle School.
At just after 4:15 a.m. on Thursday, crews from the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company were dispatched to the school, which is located at 2303 Carrs Mill Road, for an automatic fire alarm activation.
Upon entering the area indicated on the alarm panel, firefighters found a single automatic sprinkler had activated and there was light smoke in the room, which was a staff lounge area that also contained IT servers.
An electric floor fan had been placed in the room to maintain air flow to assist in cooling the room. The fan malfunctioned and ignited directly below a sprinkler head, which activated extinguishing the fire and activating the fire alarm, thereby limiting the damage to the school building.
The fire was extinguished and the scene was cleared by 5:30 a.m.
No injuries were reported.