Category Archives: Residence Hall/Dormitory

Union, NJ – Residence hall fire put out by sprinkler system; No injuries

A lit candle caused a fire on Jan. 17 in Upperclassman Residence Hall and triggered the sprinkler system causing water damage to parts of the building, according to University spokesperson, Margaret McCorry.

The candle fire broke out in a student’s bedroom on the seventh floor of the Upperclassman Residence Hall.Continue Reading »

Manhattan, KS – Dormitory fire at Kansas State University extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

A fire at a Kansas State dormitory displaced about two dozen students. University officials say the fire early Friday started on the fourth floor of Wefald Hall. All students were evacuated for about three hours. No injuries were reported. Sprinklers extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived.… Continue Reading »

Durham, NC – Dorm room fire at Duke University extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

A dorm room was damaged in a fire at Duke University on Saturday evening, officials said. The fire was reported at 7:48 p.m. at 420 Chapel Drive, according to Durham fire officials. “Firefighters found the sprinkler system had activated and extinguished a small fire in a dorm room,” Chris Iannuzzi, deputy chief of the Durham Fire Department said in a news release.Continue Reading »

San Antonio, TX – Fire in university apartment building under construction put out by sprinkler system

A sprinkler system put out a small fire in an apartment building under construction at the Our Lady of the Lake University campus Sunday morning. The San Antonio Fire Department said the fire started around 11:30 a.m., and firefighters arrived to a smoke-filled room.Continue Reading »

Kennesaw, GA – Fire in on-campus residence hall extinguished by sprinkler system

*** No Media Coverage ***  On 11/9/17 – A fire in a residence hall room at Kennesaw State University was extinguished by an automatic sprinkler head.  The fire started from a vape e- cigarette battery and damage from the fire was contained to one room in a two bedroom suite.   … Continue Reading »

Parkland, WA – Fire on 8th floor of campus residence hall extinguished by sprinkler system

A fire ignited in a Tingelstad dorm room around 1 p.m. Nov. 3, starting in a three person room on the 8th floor. According to the Campus Safety (CSAF) report, “combustible materials” were stored on top of the kitchenette stove. The Pierce County Fire Prevention Bureau report states that the right rear burner was inadvertently activated, causing the materials to flare.… Continue Reading »

Charlotte, NC – Arson fire in university residence hall limited by sprinkler system

A UNCC student has been arrested for starting a fire inside a residence hall on Wednesday afternoon.  UNCC Police say Kaci Stackhouse, 19, was arrested Friday and charged with first degree arson. She was transported to the Mecklenburg County Jail.  The fire was started in a suite in the Oak Residence Hall and caused only minor damage, thanks to the buildings sprinkler system, according to UNCC officials.… Continue Reading »

New Brunswick, NJ – Sprinkler system successfully activates in Rutgers University residential high-rise fire; No injuries reported

Hundreds of residents were evacuated from The Yard @ College Ave this afternoon after a grease fire on the 12th floor set off the alarms and sprinkler systems — but according to students on the scene, there was a notable gap between the evacuations of the top and the bottom floors.Continue Reading »

St. Paul, MN – Sprinkler system extinguishes electrical fire in dorm room at University of St. Thomas

An electrical fan in a resident’s room sparked a small fire early Monday morning in Grace Hall, tripping the sprinkler system and the fire alarm, and requiring the building to be evacuated.

The sprinkler system extinguished the fire. St. Paul Fire Department also responded promptly.… Continue Reading »

Bowling Green, KY – Fire on 10th floor of university residence hall contained by sprinkler system

Western Kentucky University officials say a kitchen fire broke out on the tenth floor of Pearce Ford Tower early Monday afternoon.  Students say water from the sprinkler system has pooled up on floors nine and ten, with some students reporting damaged belongings, though this hasn’t been confirmed by officials.  Continue Reading »