Category Archives: Recycling / Waste Facility

Saskatoon, SK, Canada – Sprinkler system confines fire at recycling center; Assists firefighters in extinguishing difficult blaze

No one was injured after a fire broke out at the Loraas Recycling facility on First Avenue North in Saskatoon on Monday afternoon. The Saskatoon Fire Department said it received the initial call reporting the fire just after 1 p.m. When crews arrived, they encountered heavy smoke coming from an overhead door of a building.Continue Reading »

Mount Prospect, IL – Garbage fire contained by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

A garbage fire erupted during the late evening hours of Tuesday, May 1 on Mount Prospect’s south side, which fire officials believe was related to dry weather conditions.

According to Fire Chief Brian Lambel, crews around 10:30 p.m. responded to an active fire alarm at the Republic garbage transfer station, 1701 Kenneth Dr., where they observed heavy fire and smoke coming from the one-story facility.Continue Reading »

Salem, VA – Structure fire at landfill mostly extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Crews have extinguished a structure fire at a landfill in Roanoke County.  The fire, which was determined to have been sparked by a welding operation, was burning at the Smith Gap Regional Landfill, according to Roanoke County Fire & Rescue.  The welding was taking place on a garbage tipper machine when combustible materials ignited in that area, causing a fire in the garbage tipper. Continue Reading »

Morris, IL – Fire at electronics recycling facility suppressed by sprinkler system

There were no injuries reported Monday afternoon at a fire on Armstrong Street in Morris. Fire crews received a call about a sprinkler activation at 4:34 p.m. at First America Metal, Morris Deputy Chief Bob Wills said. “The sprinkler system did exactly what it was supposed to,” Wills said.Continue Reading »

Brockton, MA – Fire at recycling and waste management facility doused by sprinkler system

The sprinkler system at Champion City Recovery did its job early Sunday morning, containing a fire at the transfer station before firefighters arrived. Fire officials responded to the scene at 138 Wilder St. at 2:23 a.m., discovering smoke and fire from a debris pile within the main building.Continue Reading »

Brampton, ON, Canada – Overnight fire at recycling business limited by sprinkler system

Brampton firefighters were called to a tire recycling business on Bramwin Court for a fire in the early morning hours Wednesday (March 28).  As the first firefighters arrived around 4 a.m., they called for a second alarm. However, firefighters say the building’s sprinkler system worked to their advantage and helped contain the flames. Continue Reading »

Rockland Key, FL – Early morning fire at waste management facility controlled by sprinkler system

Monroe County Fire Rescue responded at 3:17 a.m. Thursday to a fire inside the City of Key West’s transfer station at 125 Toppino Industrial Drive on Rockland Key. The fire was put out just after 5 a.m. with no injuries. Here’s what happened: Crews from Stock Island, Cudjoe Key and Big Coppitt Key arrived to find heavy smoke inside the building that made it impossible to enter immediately.Continue Reading »

Duncan, OK – Sprinkler system assists firefighters in controlling potentially dangerous blaze at waste facility

A small fire broke out at approximately 7 p.m. Wednesday at Waste Connections, apparently caused by a chemical reaction in a pile of trash workers had recently dumped at the site. Duncan Fire Chief Dayton Burnside said Oakridge Volunteer Fire Department (OVFD) was first on the scene and reacted quickly to extinguish the flaming trash heap.Continue Reading »

Royal Oak, MI – Sprinkler system helps minimize fire damage at recycling center

Firefighters extinguished a blaze at Royal Oak Recycling after officials say a fire broke out there Wednesday afternoon and workers were evacuated.

Royal Oak firefighters were called to the recycling facility about 12:50 p.m.

“They had a fire inside one of the machines,” said Fire Chief Dave Cummins.Continue Reading »