There was a heavy smoke condition on the second floor when the first fire chief arrived. He immediately called for the department to respond to a working structure fire. The fire activated the sprinkler system in that area of the building.
City Hall on Main Street will be open for business as usual after a fire about 5 this morning in the Veterans Room on the first floor. Deputy Chief John C, Curran said the cause of the fire was a problem with the heating/air conditioning unit. He said a sprinkler in the room activated and doused the fire, keeping the damage minimal. No one was hurt.