Chilliwack, BC, Canada – Kitchen fire in first-floor apartment extinguished by sprinkler system

The Chilliwack Fire Department are reminding residents to “stand by your pan” after a kitchen fire on Saturday. It was that day at approximately 5:30 p.m. when firefighters were dispatched to a reported apartment structure fire in the 45000 block of Wellington Avenue.  Firefighters discovered a stovetop fire in the kitchen of a first floor apartment unit. The fire had been extinguished by the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system prior to the arrival of fire crews  Without a working sprinkler system in place, this fire had the potential of causing extensive fire damage to the home and adjacent units in the apartment building, according to the department.  “The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Please make sure to stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food and always turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *