Sacramento, CA – Sprinkler system assists firefighters in extinguishing restaurant kitchen fire; Apartments above restaurant unaffected

A stove top fire at Localis restaurant in midtown Sacramento on Tuesday morning was contained to the kitchen by firefighters, but mop up from smoke and water damage could sideline the dining spot for several days.  Firefighters were called to the eatery on S Street at 21st Street at 9:07 a.m. when a passerby saw flames inside the business coming from the stove top, said Sacramento Fire Battalion Chief Jim Edmiston at the scene.

No one was inside the building at the time and apartments above the restaurant were not affected by the small blaze. The restaurant said in a statement on its Facebook page: “Its true, we had a small fire in the kitchen early this morning. Everybody is fine and there was minimal damage. We are closing tonight and will reopen tomorrow. We could really use your support this week to recoup from the closure.

Nearby Broadway and downtown fire crews punched through the locked entrance, and with assistance from the restaurant’s sprinkler system they knocked down the flames in about 30 minutes, but firefighters remained on scene to clean up the damage from smoke and water left behind.  “Our goal is to try to get them back in business ASAP,” Edmiston said.  Once cleanup is complete, health inspectors will come in to determine when the restaurant can reopen, Edmiston said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *